Is the A7 a quad core CPU?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rovex, Sep 11, 2013.

1. rovex macrumors 65816

Could we get some straight answers going please.

2. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

http://gizmodo.com/apples-new-a7-chip-is-apples-first-64-bit-soc-1278205052

"The A6 chipset runs on dual ARM-based CPU-cores clocked at 1.3 GHz, triple PowerVR GPU cores, and 1GB of RAM. The larger A6X chip was introduced when the fourth-generation iPad was announced last October. It packed a more robust quad-core GPU than the smaller A6.

Of course, none of this geekery means anything unless the A7 actually makes the phone better. We'll see if the new chipset really blazes when the new iPhone hits stores soon."

----------

Based on that and that it's going to be running 64-bit I'd hazard a guess that the A7 will be a Quad-core and the A7X will also be.
    As for their claim that it runs "twice as fast" that is a Garbage claim. I don't expect the A7 to run faster than 1.5ghz Tops.
    They can get away with claiming this because the iPhone 5 came default with iOS 6 and the iPhone 5S runs default iOS 7, when I'm able to put iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 I bet it'll be buttery and comparing the two won't show much of anything.

3. madgibbon macrumors member

By "twice as fast" Apple are not referring to the CPU clock speed. It's the CPU's ability to process instructions. It could be the A7 has more cores than the A6. This would allow extra instructions to be processed simultaneously and as a result increase performance. A smaller CPU die is another way to improve performance without upping clock speeds.

4. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Likely, so if this is to be believed then the A7 is quad-core.

5. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

6. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

we all know we can trust on your word......but ehhh...source?

7. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Source? I've been wanting to see the specs of the chip since it was announced.

8. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Uhm. It's says "dual ARM-based CPU cores." Dual means two, not four. A7 is a dual-core (two cores) ARM based processor according to your article.

9. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

So it does, I guess that's cleared up.
    Sooo we know that they gave it more transistors which I'm thinking are like comparing nVidia graphics cards with the number of CUDA Cores, the more you have the more information can flow. Sound right?
    That would mean that the clock speed wouldn't have to greatly increased.
    I highly doubt that the A7 is running at 1.7ghz... unless Apple has create a miracle, iPhone 5S is going to be a hot run phone...