Is the airport card in the aluminum macbooks weak?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by likemyorbs, Feb 6, 2009.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The other day i decided to take my macbook to english class for the first time for essay writing. i was trying to connect to the school's wifi but the signal was very low, i went into the lobby and it worked just fine. but the thing is, the kid who was sitting next to me had his hp laptop and it was connecting to the network at full strength. what would be the reason for that?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's not the card, it's the case.

It's aluminum, so it blocks signal fairly well. That's pretty much the only thing keeping the AirPort family from going aluminum to match Apple's current design scheme: signal.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I've never had a problem with mine. I can say though, the Alu MB doens't pick up weak/far away networks as well as my gf's Centrino2 HP.

Probably due to the metal case.

Edit: Sometimes it seems I'm in a race with TallestSkil to get these answers out :p

4. Mr$Whale macrumors member

I've never had a problem with my AlMB's airport card.

5. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Apple always seem to be sacrificing functionality for design - fortunately, this is one that I haven't noticed a problem with though in my Alu MB.

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I hate saying this because I dont have a link but some websited tested a whitebook and a aluminum macbook next to each other at different distances and the aluminum was consistently lower signal then the white presumably because of the metal case.

This issue isnt if the wireless works or not its if the signal is lower and I believe it is.

7. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

The signal levels i get with my unibody are as good as i got with my whitebook.......i cant see any difference....