Is the Apple Store a bad place to switch carriers / open a new account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adster, Sep 16, 2016.

1. adster macrumors regular

Hello guys.

So this is the first time in as far back as I could remember that you can't switch carriers or open a new carrier account on the Apple website. This, in large part, prevented me from preordering on Apple.com at 3am.

If I go to a physical Apple store to purchase an IP7, will they allow me to sign up for a carrier plan or is it similar to their online store, which only allows customers of the 4 carriers?

Thanks!

2. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Yes 100% bad place because

#1. Carrier store can waive the Activation fee
    #2. Carrier stores often thrown in a freebie when you join and sign up. All to gain a new account.
    Apple can't do any of that.

Go into any carrier store and join as a new subscriber and just as you agree drop a hint or directly mention you won't pay the activation fee or your gone. And just as you are about to officially sign Price Tax etc grab a cellphone case and ask for it to be included Store manager will authorize it.

Don't be afraid to walk out.

3. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

If you plan on opening an account, I'd probably either go to a carrier store or Best Buy mobile. Basically the people who specialize in that kinda stuff. Like the other person said, you may get a special promotion with the carrier. And if you go to BBY, you may get gift cards. The carrier reps there may waive activation fees too