is the apple watch a waste of money?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Barcafan89, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Barcafan89 macrumors member

Barcafan89

Have people buying the apple watch wasted their money how do you feel about this? All I use my watch for now a days is to check the time most of the time i find it easier to use my iPhone.

2. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

For you, it sounds like its a waste of money since you aren't using it. For anyone that's using it, me included, I surely don't think its a waste of money or I wouldn't have bought it. I bought a Kitchenaid mixer for my wife and she doesn't like it so doesn't use it, so it was a waste of money... for me. Plenty of people buy them and love them.

3. torana355 macrumors 68030

I don't know about the Apple watch but for smart watches in general no they are not a waste of money imo. I use my LG Urbane to check my notifications, control my music and podcasts and for general time telling duties. The biggest telltale is when i forget my watch at home i miss the functionality it provides me.

4. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

5. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I will pay for AW for accurate and on-time phone/message/email/app notification, without have to unlock my iPhone 50 times a day, let along all other thing could be done with AW now and more in future.
    AW is always unlock as long as it stay on my wrist, my iPhone is locked in 5min, due to requirement for work email.
    Also able to enjoy personal conversation without have to stare on my iPhone or check on my iPhone all the time, is priceless.
    Wearing iPhone on the hand or anywhere on the body 16 hrs a days is just not nature, wearing watch 16 hrs a days has been done by lots of people for more than 100 years.

6. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

Nah... I get too much convenience out of it to be a waste of money. I wear it every day. Let's say that I keep my AW Sport for two years and then upgrade. My cost of ownership breaks down to roughly 50 cents a day. Every day I get benefits that in my opinion are worth more than 50 cents... also worth more than the dollar a day I would pay to own the AW SS for two years. The AW tracks my health, and I also think it improves my health in less obvious ways. I rely on reminders and other notifications, and I find the silent haptic notifications to be much more pleasant and less stressful than audible notifications provided by my iPhone... especially when I can glance down and ignore, dismiss, postpone or take action without having to get my iPhone out. I frequently ask Siri to set a reminder, text my wife or set a timer when my hands are full. Sometimes I even use the motion faces to snap my 3-year-old out of a tantrum!

Of course I may very well keep my watch for more than two years, or (more likely) I will sell it at the end of two years and upgrade. Either way my cost of ownership drops below that 50 cents a day. It may be a waste of money for you if you do not get anything out of it other than the time of day, but it's certainly not a waste of money for me. It's probably the best 50 cents I spend on some days. Whenever I do sell my AW Sport, it will be to purchase a stainless steel model.

Sean

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'd say whatever keyboard the OP used to type that comma-less stream of consciousness was a waste of money that is how I feel about this.

8. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

If you buy an Apple watch or ANY other watch and don't use it, its definitely a waste of money, obviously.

For me its definitely not a waste of money, I get lots of use from the Apple Watch.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It is only a waste of money if you do not return it within the grace period. Not much excuse with the holiday return widow but if people buy one and do not like it return it.

10. Roller macrumors 68020

It's arguable that if you only use the AW as a timepiece, it's not worth the money because there are less expensive ways to do the same thing. But it makes no sense to say that it's easier to check the time on an iPhone, which has to be removed from wherever it's kept and powered on to display the time. Looking at a wristwatch is almost always faster and more convenient.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The for you, the apple watch is a waste of money. For me its a nice addition to make my life a little easier. I'm in situations where I cannot pull my phone out and use it, but I can check my wrist. In these situations, I find the apple watch to be very helpful.

I agree it is a luxury item that is not needed, but we can probably make that claim for many electronic items.

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It's an important part of my daily life. I get a lot of notifications everyday so its key for me. As is the fitness side of things. Awesome for football scores too on the go right from my clock face

dont understand why those who buy it but don't use what it does...surely you think before you buy?

13. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

A lot of people also think that trying it on at an Apple store is an accurate portrayal of its usefulness in everyday life. You don't realize how useful it is until after its paired with your phone and on your wrist for a couple of days.

14. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Blanket statements about the watch or people that buy them are silly.

It is a waste of money for some, and not at all for others. It's easy enough for prospective buyers to find out whats good and not good about the product and then see how that compares to their use case.

I'm a happy Apple Watch owner since June. I get lots of value out of it. But that's just me.

15. touchstoned macrumors regular

touchstoned

If you don't want a watch or a new way to interface with your phone/the world and you don't exercise then yeah the watch is a waste of money.

I think for anyone who wants to be healthy and active it is a no brainer. The only fault I have with the Apple watch is it can break if you take is surfing. I use it for walking, running, cycling and also have my full Med ID on it (weight, blood type, height, BMI) and I use it to track my sleep with sleep pulse. I also track my calorie intake with an app on the watch. I took the first watch I had surfing and it worked great up until it started glitching, apple replaced it in warranty but I don't want to keep doing that and possibly upset them and have them mark it as accidental damage.

For the record I have gone from 184cm 150lbs to 184cm 167lbs and those gains are all muscle int he time I've had the apple watch. And I don't lift weights at all.

16. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I returned mine, i found it a complete waste of money.
    Too slow, not enough apps and its frankly still better to do things on other devices.

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm glad you returned yours because you missed the whole point of the Apple watch. It wasn't intended to be "another" device that had apps on it. It was supposed to be an extension/complimentary device to the iPhone.

I don't even have apps installed on my Apple watch and use it every day for watch face complications and notifications.

18. Easttime macrumors 6502

19. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

I don't think it was a waste of money, but I think it may be a bit pricey for what it offers in its current form. I use mine as a timepiece (it replaced an analog watch), as well as a handy timer and alarm clock. Haptic notifications are great in noisy environments.

I have used the fitness app, but I am not a huge fan of it. It seems like the HR monitoring is sometimes inaccurate (which I guess I should expect for a wrist based monitor), and I wish I could customize the workout screen to show several things at once instead of having to swipe between calories burned, heart rate, and the time, etc. I previously used a Polar chest monitor and wrist watch - I suspect that was much more accurate and I may switch back eventually unless they release an app that can read the chest monitor output

So I am very glad I bought it and I miss when its not on my wrist, but I am glad I bought the Sport instead of the SS. Then I can upgrade to the Watch 2 with less guilt.

20. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I've been experimenting with going back to a regular watch for the past few days. I missed the AW a lot at work today.

Definitely not a waste of money for me.

21. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Anything that is not essential can be viewed as a waste of money. As long as you enjoy it and get benefits of using it, it's not a waste of money.

22. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Well it failed even more then.. the "extension" is not something worth the asking price.
    I can hear or feel the phone beep in my pocket without something on my wrist.

23. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Nah, it is cheap, pocket change.

24. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Strictly as a timepiece, the Apple Watch is a waste of money. But it brings so much more to the table. I don't find the style particularly compelling, but the functionality it offers more than makes up for it. And you can easily accessorize with bands! Never underestimate the appeal of customization/personalization. :)

25. jase1125 macrumors regular

absolutely it is a waste of money. still bought one though