is the back of the Mini matte rubber or aluminum?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Young Turk, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Young Turk macrumors 6502

I've read descriptions that the back of the mini is "matte" and pictures of the black slate back on Apple.com make the back look almost rubber-like. Is it rubber or aluminum?

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Why would you think Apple, or any other tablet manufacturer would use rubber as a backing material?

Hint: matte black super cars don't have rubber as their shell either.

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

black anodized or silver aluminum

why would apple use anything inferior?

4. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have asked - is it the same finish as my black/slate iPhone 5?

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

yes

6. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, thanks.

7. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Any scratches on your iPhone 5 or is it cased?

8. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

No case. Ghost Armor (1 piece), kiosk installed, back only. Highly recommended.

My wife installed Ghost Armor on the back of my iPad 3, and it looks great as well. No case for it either, just the Smart Cover.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

If you get the black, make sure you get a case or skin. The back will surely scratch.

10. burnside macrumors 6502

Is the reason Apple doesn't go with a rubber back because of heat issues or something else like aesthetics?

Best device I've ever held was a B&N Nook. Very ergonomic and no slip rubber back. Kinda wish I would see this in the Mini.

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Apple doesn't use rubber. Just glass and aluminium (as ive would say).

12. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I would assume it feels the same as the new iPod touch. I picked one of those up it feels quite nice.

13. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Not sure if you have noticed... Rubber degrades overtime and becomes sticky :)

Not good if it's part of the iPad and you want to keep for more than a few years.

14. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

How so? My iP5 has been naked since launch day, and lots of use no scrathces....and that thing sees tables and all sorts of surfaces more than any iPad would.....it's a matter of not using your phone like a caveman and you'll get no scratches....

15. mac jones macrumors 68040

16. burnside macrumors 6502

It's not that rubbery where you would have to worry about that happening. I've had many rubber cases on devices that feel pretty much the same as they did from day 1.

----------

Yeah, that sounds like Ive. In the end, a case would probably help out as well.

17. bogatyr macrumors 65816

A no slip rubber coating like the Nook feels a lot better in the hand when holding for long periods. The rest of the Nook felt cheap, but the back was the one outstanding part of it.

18. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Apple would never use rubber. I think Steve Jobs ghost would haunt Jony Ive for the rest of his life.

19. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I agree the nook's soft grip backing is great to hold. Had an old one and no degradation yet.

20. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I like the rubber backed tablets too. In my opinion the best small tablet made in terms of size and feel was the Blackberry Playbook, but approximately 0 people bought one. I would expect aluminum from Apple though because their entire product line has been aluminum for years.

21. seajewel macrumors 6502

I like the slightly grippy soft feel too, but really the reason I'd like to see a different material on the back is because the aluminium scratches easily. I'm not just talking about the anodized aluminium. If the iPad 3 had a hardier back then using it with smart cover alone would feel great in the hand. As it is a lot of people sought out back covers because the back is susceptible to scratching.

22. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

This is why I went with Ghost Armor for the back of my iPad 3. Highly recommended.

23. osdesignstore macrumors newbie

My question is can you scratch the back easily like the iPhone 5 (Black and Slate)

24. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

Rubberized plastic isn't the same as rubber. HTC makes a lot of their products using rubberized plastic. It's a finish that is applied to the plastic to make it feel softer and have higher grip. Apple will not use rubberized plastic since they have completely moved away from plastic due to environmental and cost concerns. Their policy is to always use premium materials in product construction as long as it is on the exterior. The current trend is towards aluminum. They are also constantly playing with liquid metal which may be able to be a future material that they use in their products.