Is the Base 13” MacBook Pro good enough for the next 1.5 years?

TeddieBear

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2019
Coding (web design), game design (2D work - nothing major), photoshop, and some video editing.

I’m wondering it the base model will be good enough to do that for the next 1.5 years before I trade it in for the next model?

Thoughts?

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
I think it will be. I'd say it is wiser to trade it more frequently that trying to future proof any current models by adding more ram/ssd or other options than what you actually need today. There will be always something new coming every year...

TeddieBear

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2019
I think it will be. I'd say it is wiser to trade it more frequently that trying to future proof any current models by adding more ram/ssd or other options than what you actually need today. There will be always something new coming every year...
That’s what I was thinking, especially with rumors about an improved keyboard in later versions.

I guess I’ll do that then.

Thanks!

sgw123

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
I bought it and the experience was grim. It was painful and uncomfortable in terms of heat on my wrists. To such a degree that I returned it and bought the second hand 2015 tank I'm typing happily on now.

The new version seemed like a cheap knockoff version of a Mac.

Reactions: TeddieBear

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Coding (web design), game design (2D work - nothing major), photoshop, and some video editing.

I’m wondering it the base model will be good enough to do that for the next 1.5 years before I trade it in for the next model?

Thoughts?
It’s pretty powerful. For what you plan to do it should be fine.

TeddieBear

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2019
It’s pretty powerful. For what you plan to do it should be fine.
I figured I could use the extra money for a thumb drive. I could trade in the 13” when I’m ready to get something more powerful.

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
I figured I could use the extra money for a thumb drive. I could trade in the 13” when I’m ready to get something more powerful.
Exactly. You can get very nice amount of portable storage with the price of an upgraded built in ssd.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015

Thoughts?
I did a lot of programming 9 years ago in a MacBook Air 2010 13 4GB connected to a 24 inch monitor. A fantastic piece of hardware. You will do fine with that machine for more than 1.5 years as long as you give some love to that machine... Hardware respond to your mood.

pshufd

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

Thoughts?
My office gave me a 2015 13" MBP for development. New employees are getting 2017s I think. My next upgrade is scheduled for next year. I may just keep using my 2015 as I don't like the USB-C MacBook Pros.

TeddieBear

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2019
Congrats on your new baby, I personally like the 15" form factor better, partly because you get more computer for your dollar but also the larger display is easier on my old eyes :)
I thought it would be really heavy and the size would be too big, but it’s actually just right.

Loving the large screen real-estate, and I guess it’s future proofed for at least a couple of years, I’d say.

Reactions: maflynn

__xg__fv__c@

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2019
My maxed pro 13" late 2016 still is a beast. Last week i got free replacament of keyboard, touchpad, battery, touchbar, display. everything except logic board but they've cleaned it and put some thermal paste on cpu. I've paid for it (paste) around 20$ and nothing for the rest. I have 2 year warranty from certified repair shop. So i.e. the only expense I can imagine is i.e. failed logic board. So replacement is around 470$. Rest is under warranty. Apple Care ends end of November, so I'm kinda waiting for logic board to failed to get another 2 years of warranty but yeah... :p Awesome machine

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
Congrats on your new baby, I personally like the 15" form factor better, partly because you get more computer for your dollar but also the larger display is easier on my old eyes :)
I mean, you get more computer for more of your dollars lol.

I thought it would be really heavy and the size would be too big, but it’s actually just right.

Loving the large screen real-estate, and I guess it’s future proofed for at least a couple of years, I’d say.
Future proofing is a myth

but you picked a baseline so you're good

Muyfa666

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
Good choice mate! Personally I'm a 13" guy (no pun intended ;-), but there's no denying the 15" is a VERY good choice for semi-serious tasks.

You made a good choice, now enjoy it! :)

alisalem

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Mississauga, ON
If it runs well for you now, it's going to last for years to come easily. Apps that most people use (browsers, word processing, etc.) have stalled in terms of performance requirements over the past 5 years or so, and I don't see them needing any more power in the future. People are using their phones to do more stuff compared to laptops, so the focus has been shifted there. You're not going to see "new" basic apps that are resource-demanding in the future on computers.

Now, if you're someone who does the type of work that requires fast processing such as video editing or animation, that's a different story.

TeddieBear

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2019
If it runs well for you now, it's going to last for years to come easily. Apps that most people use (browsers, word processing, etc.) have stalled in terms of performance requirements over the past 5 years or so, and I don't see them needing any more power in the future. People are using their phones to do more stuff compared to laptops, so the focus has been shifted there. You're not going to see "new" basic apps that are resource-demanding in the future on computers.

Now, if you're someone who does the type of work that requires fast processing such as video editing or animation, that's a different story.
I’ve been wanting to work on a mini-documentary series for years now and I think I’ll finally do it soon, but it’s basic editing so I don’t think I’ll need a really powerful Mac for that.