Is the battery the most impressive feature of the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Angry-Birds, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Angry-Birds macrumors member

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/new-ipads-most-revolutionary-feature-is-its-battery/18985

It's pretty amazing that they can make SO many substantial hardware improvements over the course of ~365 days, and the only engineering tradeoff is that it's a few millimeters thicker. I'm not a diehard Apple loyalist like some of you guys (I split my time between my MBA and W7 rig), but I pre-ordered mine yesterday because nothing in the tablet segment even comes close.

2. sportsfrk214, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I'd have to agree with you it's pretty damn impressive, probably a close second to the screen. I mean like you said, it's only a little thicker, and it has to power 4 times as many pixels yet battery life is uneffected. I was actually shocked when they announced the battery life, I was thinking it was going to be an iPhone 4S-like drop in battery. And equally amazing is that 4G are just as good as the old 3G times. Overall Apple has proved they're the kings of battery!

EDIT: I read the article after posting this and I'm even more impressed. I hope that Apple really has been able to increase battery density because if so, we could see much improved battery on the iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it). Since the only real extra battery drains from 4S->5 will probably be 4G and A5X, and not the addition of a Retina Display, I think we can expect the 5 to not only match the 4S in battery life, but surpass it.