iPad Pro Is the build quality of the Pro worse then average?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by janezblond, Feb 25, 2016.

1. janezblond macrumors member

janezblond

i just received my 6th iPad Pro replacement, took it home, only to find this one has a major hardware defect as well. To list them in order I've had:
    - home button getting stuck
    - dead pixels
    - air bubble in glass
    - 1/3rd of the glass was extremely coarse (enough to make the pencil screech when dragged against it)
    - the edge of the screen near the home button would not register swipe input
    - dead pixels
    - the lower half of the screen clicks when touched, pressing against it makes air "whoosh" out of the iPad (this is the one I just brought home)

Am I the unluckiest SOB, or is something weird going on with the quality of the pros?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think it's like hitting a reverse lottery. There's always at least one report like this for every iPad model that's been released.

We've bought four iPP so far (my mom, mine, my boss, then I returned my wifi model and exchanged for a cellular model), and they've all been perfect.

3. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

You can substitute any mass made device in this thread. Just look at the early nexus 9 tablet threads at xda forums for the same discussions (light bleed, dead pixels, dust under the glass etc).

Remember folks, this is an assembly line device so there will be inferior components to crop up. This is a new line of products for iFruit (bigger screen iPad) so expect version 1 faults. Next years model (this year?) will benefit from a more streamlined way of making the products so the devices should get better.

That said, and as I type this on my launch day iPad pro 128 lte with Logitech create, and navigate around with the iFruit pencil, I've had zero issues and zero defects on the iPad pro.

4. Fozziebear71 macrumors regular

Fozziebear71

I purchased two IPP's, Smart keyboards, and two Pencils for my wife and I as Valentines gifts to us both. Ours have no flaws.

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Lol, yes that really is unlucky.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

My first iPP developed a problem with the accelerometer and so I exchanged it for one that was perfect. I ended up returning that one thinking I didn't really want an iPP; a few weeks later I bought another iPP and it too has been perfect. So two out of three have been perfect.

7. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

There are millions of these devices out there, so at least 1% of them will have issues as a result of manufacturing variation/processes/foxconn cutting corners. When that percentage goes above a certain threshold, like say 3-5%, it'll be like the MBP staingate and Apple will make a quality program for it.

People like the OP who are in that small 1% will go online and complain, making the average reader think it's widespread. This makes them feel better about themselves, instead of what they are supposed to do which is use the 1 year warranty to get a replacement.

8. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Yes, but it sucks when you are in that 1%. Really, it does.

9. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

It would suck if the device was sold as-is and you had no chance of replacement. Literally all you have to do is go to an apple store and they will give you a new one on the spot for free.

10. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Even so, 6 replacements... It sucks.

11. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I had no issues at all with mine. Sorry for your seemingly rotten luck.

12. janezblond thread starter macrumors member

janezblond

I know I can get it replaced (which I have and will do again today), but that doesn't take into account all the lost time because of going to apple, waiting at the Genius Bar, time spent restoring the devices, etc.

That said, if you look at my original post, I wasn't claiming Apple is doomed or that they suck. I simply asked if the quality of the pros was lower or if I was unlucky.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2016 ---
    I think you are being a bit unfair. I didn't come here to rile anyone up - I simply asked if my experience was shared by others, because statistically speaking getting 7 duds in a row with a 1% chance of a dud is extremely unlikely. If you look at the language of my original post, you will see I am not spelling doom for apple or saying they have wronged me in any way. In fact, I did get all 6 (soon to be 7) devices replaced under warranty.

13. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

After 6 tries don't you check them out thoroughly at the store before you go home?

14. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Gold 128, launch day, love it. Mine is flawless.

I've had ones with light leak and dust under screen in the past, but that was in the iPad 1 & iPad 2 days.

15. janezblond thread starter macrumors member

janezblond

Of course I did. But unless you know what to look for, dead pixels are pretty much the only thing you can spot in the store. With the noise in the store, I couldn't hear the clicking and whooshing of the last replacement, the coarseness of the glass was not something I'd ever think of looking for, etc.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You're very unlucky. My first iPP had 1/4 yellow screen at the top and the rest was a washed out white. Returned it and my replacement was perfect. No issues. I also didn't go looking for issues either. Nothing stood out, the screen was perfect, nice crisp white, no dead pixels, weird noises or anything else. I use it daily.

I think after 6 or even 3/4, it's now starting to become OCD. JMO.

17. Daku93 macrumors regular

I usually have really bad luck when purchasing new devices from apple (I have not had a single iPhone that did not need to be swapped right in the beginning), so I was really surprised how well built my iPad Pro is. It has not a single flaw.

18. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'll assume that you are truthfully conveying your experiences. No offense intended toward you but we've had a person or two troll around with similar stories only to be exposed as liars...

I think that it is a little bit of both. You've been a bit unlucky, but the iPad Pro being a first generation device, manufacturing defects are expected to be at a higher rate than normal. This is why I typically wait 3-4 months after a device is released before purchasing... with the exception being the iPad 1.

19. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Keep in mind too that if there is an issue with a batch of iPads, it sometimes takes a while for local stores to burn through that stock until new ones arrive in a fresh batch. So, it is very possible to get multiple devices in a row that have problems.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Never had any fault on my apple devices, guess I'm just lucky

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Can't speak to statistics, but my release day iPP is 100% solid. And I'm not just being easy to please.

22. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Is there an option to go to a different store for exchange? Seems that store is recycling bad units, or had a bad batch.

23. janezblond thread starter macrumors member

janezblond

Just to give an update - I was lucky enough that for the 7th replacement (the one with the loose bottom half of the screen) the Apple Store decided to break the chain of warranty replacements and gave me a brand new iPad (with a new warranty). Granted, the iPad turned out to be a dud, but the fact it was a new "purchase" let me just exchange it for another new iPad the day after, and as far as I can tell after 2 days, this one seems to be defect free (knock on wood).

24. Trogladite macrumors member

Unbelievable! I mean really unbelievable. You are so unlucky, if I were you I would never dare to cross the street.

Maybe the year will improve for you. I truly hope so. But it's possible you have used up your bad luck in one go. Go buy a lottery ticket and see what happens. Just be careful not to get mugged on the way.

25. fakeycakemaker macrumors regular

I've had 3 so far and I found last night that I need a 4th.

First and second ones had a loose cover magnet. Third had a flickering backlight with dark shadowy lines down it. Fourth has yet another loose magnet!

Pretty sure they've given me the same ones back! Haha. Oh well, good job they swap them easy enough.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 29, 2016 ---
    Haha! That's pretty epic