Is the cMBP going the way of the dinosaur?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dookieman, Mar 19, 2013.

  1. Dookieman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2009
    #1
    I finally need to upgrade my 2007 MBP with a new one. $2,100 for a new rMBP is pretty steep and I am leaning towards getting the standard resolution MBP for $1,700. Do you think it will get updated this year along side the rMBP?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

    Ultra AleM

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2012
    Location:
    Italy
    #2
    Sincerely I don't think so. Just consider they left the old MegSafe on it, while they updated it on MBA and rMBP.

    I'm not saying it is not a great machine, I just think it's the last year.

    This doesn't have to make you change idea. It is still a great computer, in some ways better than the Retina (upgradable, Superdrive, matte high res screen)
     
  3. comatory macrumors 6502a

    comatory

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    #3
    I still think cMBP is still a great computer, the build quality is superb and stood its test of time. I know things are moving towards rMBP but I still like cMBP more.
    Even if I had the money to buy retina, I'd get the classic - it's just more serviceable. I don't have anything "retina" at home except iPhone 4S so I guess I don't feel like I'm missing out on something.

    To me, cMBP seems simply like a better value. I know I'll probably think differently 2-3 years from now on when laptops like rMBP will be becoming the norm.

    Also, rMBP, the one that came out in July 2012 is a first gen. I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig, there are some issues with it being the new design. I bet when the new one is announced, it'll be better so at least I'd wait till WWDC with the purchase.
     
  4. ovation802 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    #4
    I just bought a cMBP today- pick it up next week. I worried if i waited for an upgrade they would discontinue it. I had the money for a retina but I chose the high def anti glare and upgraded some other odds and ends and still have the option to upgrade parts in the future. I think its a good buy if it fits your needs. :)
     
  5. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #5
    It's a safe assumption that they will retain a sub $2k 15" option with the next revision. The assumption of nothing below $2200 is most likely a fallacy. There is little point in worrying that there won't be anything to purchase within your budget. The typical concern isn't really this. It's usually someone still requires the optical drive, wants to upgrade ram later at lower/staggered costs, or remains concerned about reported display issues. Especially when factoring the option for refurbished models depending on your country, being left without something to buy is a highly unlikely circumstance.
     

Share This Page