I have learnt that the failed chips have faulty Sata ports 2-3-4-5
and i know the Sata ports 0-1 are being used for the HDD and the Optical
drive.
What port supports an external drive?

Help needed ASAP as wanting my new 13 inch Mac Book Pro

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
The current crop of macbooks use the faulty chip, but the faulty interface is unused. In other words, there's no concern for chips used in the MBP line.

Macbooks don't have e-sata, so the USB and firewire busses would be supporting any external drives.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
The current crop of macbooks use the faulty chip, but the faulty interface is unused. In other words, there's no concern for chips used in the MBP line.

Macbooks don't have e-sata, so the USB and firewire busses would be supporting any external drives.
There's been a quote from a manager at Apple that the MBPs used the fixed chipset. Got any data to support your claim?

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010

the current MacBooks use port 2 for the superdrive, which was an affected port on the problem chipsets, however the macbook pros use THE FIXED CHIPSET, as stated by Apple themselves.

READ: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/performance.html
Up to 2x faster at the core.

New quad-core Intel Core i7 processors are standard on the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro. And the 13-inch models feature the new dual-core Intel Core i5 processor or the fastest dual-core processor available — the Intel Core i7. All the models use Intel’s recently refined chipsets. So what does all that mean for the new MacBook Pro models? Bottom line: They perform up to twice as fast as the previous generation,1 breezing through demanding tasks like editing HD video, compiling audio, or rendering a multilayered image file. And since Mac OS X Snow Leopard is designed to take advantage of every processor core, it captures every last bit of performance from the processor.

Last edited:

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
My bad then, the last reports I read stated that the fixed chipsets did not ship to manufacturers in time to make the first production run of macbook pros.

FOX160

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
So if they are being used,
How long you think before the new batch of chips be used in there laptops?

Just makes me think to buy last years model at the reduced rate and sell
when they have the proper update on the mac book pro.

xxjudgmentxx

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
WI
So if they are being used,
How long you think before the new batch of chips be used in there laptops?

Just makes me think to buy last years model at the reduced rate and sell
when they have the proper update on the mac book pro.
All Apple's current MacBook Pros already use the fixed chipsets.