Is the dual core A5 faster than my 2006 core 1 duo?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Just curious. I have the first generation macbook and wanted to know if the ipad 2 I'll be picking up is actually more powerful than its core 1 duo.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It would be cool to see a proper benchmarked comparison though. If for nothing more than to give us geeks a proper idea of where ARM architecture stands and compares.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
awwwww bummmmmmer

It would be cool to see a proper benchmarked comparison though. If for nothing more than to give us geeks a proper idea of where ARM architecture stands and compares.
Yes I AGREE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Yeah, I'm really curious how they compare. Even just in terms of seeing how efficient iOS really is.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
YES! We need an App that benchmarks the iPads against each other (Gen1 Gen2 etc) and some standard numbers to compare with other laptops and desktops

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
You can find Geekbench results for current iOS devices. Latest model Macs are MUCH faster than the A4/ARM processors found in iOS devices. In fact, if I recall correctly the original Apple TV which ran on a 1GHz Pentium-class processor is significantly faster than the A4 processor found in the first generation iPad and the second generation Apple TV.

Here is a post I did last October comparing the iPad to the first generation Apple TV with links to some Geekbench results for those very processors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11239740

Last edited: