Is the experience of waiting at apple worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shortman, Sep 19, 2012.

1. shortman macrumors member

I don't really have anything going on Thursday Night and Friday morning and could wait outside an apple store all night and I could also go to a Verizon Store around 5am, have an extra 5 hours of sleep and go on with my day.

What I am trying to ask is the experience of waiting at an apple store worth it?

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

For Juveniles - Yes

For Adults - No, most grown ups are not so easily amused. :D

3. txflyfish macrumors member

Yea it's fun but rough! Should do it at least once just for the heck of it

4. leenak macrumors 68020

Uhh... I'd say no way. It might be entertaining for the first hour but then when you realize you have 12 hours to go...

5. jackpollard macrumors newbie

Did it last year, probably won't do it again. It was fun hanging out, talking tech and all. Around 2-4 you get that "i have not slept all night" taste in your mouth. I pre-ordered for pickup so I was set. Around 5-6, what was an orderly nice line collapsed into a near riot. You got to the mall doors, saw the line and said hello and went to to the end. Until the thugs came and they decided they dont have to wait in a line. No police, security so it became a jammed to the door type of nasty yelling wait. I was #2, I just followed the biggest guy I could find. I went to the pre-ordered line and had a great time once in the mall. This time I just wait in the comfort of my home for brown.

Good luck!

6. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I did it for the first iPhone and iPhone 4. It was fun the first time... But not after that.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I did it for the iPhone 4 launch and it wasn't worth it. Bear in mind though, my Apple store is in a mall and its not very exciting to begin with (Albany), but they did give us food and water at breakfast time.

I wish I could try the mob scene at NYC. That seems like a blast!:D

8. mpapaj macrumors newbie

No way. Apple Store Pentagon City for the 4. Arrived at 5am and there were already 200 in line. Waited almost 9 hours bored out of my mind. Awful experience.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It's not fun if you're in a state that considers 100 normal for summer (Tex-ass). I had to do this for the iphone v1 and 3G because online ordering wasn't an option. When I got my 4, they had online orders and I used that instead.
    If you've got the time and the sun isn't trying to kill you, go for it at least once.

10. txflyfish macrumors member

They pass out umbrellas and water bottles. So not too bad

You guys are scarrying him. MAN UP YOU GOTTA DO THIS AT LEAST ONCE

11. Sputnek macrumors regular

At this day and age the best "waiting in line" I can do is to be on macrumors haha. If it was back in the day where there was only one carrier and the other smart phones really did blow, yeah I'd wait in a line.

12. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

It really depends on how much you value your time. If you don't mind sitting around for day(s) to maybe get an iPhone which you could have pre-ordered for delivery by Apple or a carrier for Friday then that should answer the question.

For me, the short answer is no, but I have my vacation days planned out for the remainder of the year and sitting in line for a couple of days wasn't included in those plans. :p

13. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Hanging around in line is fun for the first couple of hours or so. You get to know the people around you, talk about technology, sports, etc. and you've still got a positive vibe about being amongst a bunch of other geeks excited to get their hands on a new gadget. Then, as the time drags on, you start getting irritated because each hour seems to last for 120 minutes, you're tired, hungry, and just want to get the hell out of there.

It is certainly an interesting experience.

14. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

I've done it once with a friend and had a blast. Ordering pizza in line is always fun.

15. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I agree with most here. I waited for the iPhone 4. It was kind of fun. I got up and drove an hour in the dark, waited about 3 hours in the line, etc. I had a reservation.

It was kind of cool, and I met a few interesting people, but overall, I wouldn't do it again. In hindsight, if I could have gotten an online order shipped to my house instead of that experience, I probably would do it, so no, I wouldn't really recommend it.

I'm not dissing anyone who does the waiting thing, and I'm sure some people genuinely have fun. Overall, though, you're better off joining a group or something if you want the camaraderie. I think we geeks tend to make more out of these things than they really are because we don't get outside much. :)

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

17. txflyfish macrumors member

In America this is NUTHN! You no real apple fan until you survive China launch!

18. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

I would personally wait until the morning. I can understand arriving at the store an hour or two early, but waiting overnight is just overkill.

I'm going to assume Apple is expecting high demand for the iPhone 5, so each Apple store should be fairly stocked. And since in-store pickup wasn't an option this year for pre-orders, that leaves more phones in the stockpile.

19. misterjay macrumors regular

It's fun.. sure.. till you find out that you're waiting in a line consisting of over 300 people(at 3AM..) at your local mall. :(

20. johnowenrichard macrumors newbie

If you got the time and will power go for it! If I hadn't have had mine subsidised through Orange I think I would have gone this year and queued up. I have time to waste friday so I'm going to go down and watch the chaos as the store opens.

Is it possibly worse that I'm going down to watch people queue instead? Haha

21. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I did a pre order this time due to working on Friday...However I have waited for many of the iphones and Ipads. I would get there the night before and often first in line. Bring a chair!! Some even brought sleeping bags and small 1 man tent. Benefit of being first in line-----Wait for it------I have sold my place in line several times for over $100-200 bucks!!!! Not once but twice!!!! Hilarious!! Apple normally (at least at my store passes out cards) Towards the end of the line the phones sell out. Those people will pay over the price for your spot in line. Some people will wait all night just to sell there spot not even caring about the phone.

22. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I've done it twice and it has been pretty fun. You get to know your line neighbors and time should fly by. I recommend you do it at least once!

23. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

you don't do this for fun, you stay overnight so you can get an iphone early:apple:

24. Cricketman macrumors regular

Waited in line for iPad 3 launch. It was my first apple launch, and was definitely a fun experience. Line wasn't too bad either, but I expect it might be longer for the iPhone. I got there about an hour before opening.

I think every apple enthusiast should do it at least once!

25. jgiovino macrumors newbie

To be honest it is. I'm 19 now and I've been going to midnight releases and morning releases of all kinds since i was 10 with my Dad. It's not necessarily thrilling or anything, it's just kind of a cool experience. I've gotten to hear some interesting stories in lines for Black Friday or for midnight releases of different movies and games (the people in line for games are by far the most annoying). But I suggest doing it. If anything, you get your phone FRIDAY.