Is the glass on the white and black iPhone different?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gjwilly, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

My work gave me a white iPhone 4S and I don't know how many people had it before me.
    My personal phone is a black iPhone 4S.

On the white phone, the front glass has a lip all the way around the edge.
    If I run my fingernail down the screen I can feel it catch on the very slightly raised lip before it gets to the edge.
    On the black phone there is no lip and my fingernail slides right off the edge of the glass without catching. If anything it has a slight bevel or dropoff rather than a raised edge.

Is that normal?
    Could it be a difference in part suppliers?
    Did Apple make a change somewhere during the production life?
    Or could I possible have an aftermarket glass that got installed somewhere along the way?

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I was going to go with "aftermarket glass" and wager $999 but then I ran my fingernail off the side of my black 4s and came to the conclusion that mine "catches" so to speak. I have a screen protector on (but still have a mm or so between the edge and the screen protector) and I have an otterbox commuter case on so I never even see/feel the edges. Peeling the case back and running my fingernail off of the side between the screen protector and the edge of the glass it gets hung up for a second on what would appear to be a small "lip" or possibly the opposite, a depression.

The more I look at it, I think it's actually getting caught on a small gap between the glass and whatever surrounds it. I don't think it's a "lip" or a raised portion of the glass. My guess is that the variance in height has something to do with the amount of adhesive they use and/or the pressure used to press the glass face on and/or how the adhesive dries (i.e. does it shrink down causing a fraction of (a very small unit of measurement) of depression or does it expand a tad forcing the piece up (and your fingernail slides off of the side freely).

I can't belive I gave it this much thought/effort...

3. 7DSniper macrumors regular

I just got my white iPhone back from geeksquad replacement and I noticed a lip around the replacement I got that I never notices before. Also the home button is raised above the surface. Quite annoyed with the situation. Can anyone else confirm the white iPhone screen is different from the black one. My wife has the black version and her glass screen runs flush to the outside.

4. jeffe macrumors 6502a

My best guess is also that some variation in that particular area of the phone would be normal and within production guidelines as not many people would even notice it.