Is the graphic performance on 13in rMBP 3.0ghz i7 faster than i5 cpu

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nealh, Apr 13, 2013.

1. nealh macrumors 6502

I am trying to decide if the faster 3.0ghz i7 cpu is worth getting over over 2.6ghz i5 on the 13in rMP.

I am wondering if the faster clock speed and extra L3 cache will help with the graphic performance for basic tasks.

I do not intend to game with this laptop. My main uses are as a portable office machine for MS office, web surfing, video, music playing but not editing or converting.

I may use some light photoshop work, creating icons for iphone themes mainly(LOL).

I love the retina display and comparing it side by side with the cMBP showed stuttering on some webpages, but I must admit the cMBP did scroll smoother but the text on webpages when scrolling looked worse than the slight image stuttering on the retina display....I actually preferred the slight stuttering(the cMBP was i7 core on display at the Apple store) to the cMBP when scrolling smoother, it was weird.

As an aside, the stuttering on scrolling with the rMBP is similar to what I see with my iPad3.

TIA

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The graphics might be slightly better for the parts that are done with the CPU, but for the most part it is the GPU. That will be identical in the two machines. For your uses, you have no need for an i7 and you will likely see no difference.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Graphics performance for basic tasks can be handled by my G4's 13 year old 16MB Ati rage 128 pro.

With your listed usage, even if the GPU was faster, you would not benefit whatsoever from it.