Is the GRIP OF DEATH a Worldwide problem, or are only AT&T customers getting this ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scott99, Aug 11, 2010.

1. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I was just wondering, with the worldwide launch of the iPhone 4, are people having these problems in Canada, England, etc ? Was reception ever an issue outside of the states ? I know people in the states sometimes hate AT&T because their reception isn't great in some major cities like New York and San Francisco, so I was just wondering how it is outside of the States.

I know it's a hardware issue, but was just wondering.

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Worldwide.

As with the US, the degree to which people experience the problem will depend entirely on how and where the phone is used.

3. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

in Austria, i can make the bars drop, but it never affects either my data throughput or my calls, really

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

All the iPhones will drop a similar amount of signal when held that way. You won't really notice, though, unless your signal is low to begin with.

From what I've read this seems to hapen to AT&T customers more often than folks in other countries. That doesn't mean it can't happen to others (or that it happens to everyone on AT&T) but yes, I think you're more likely to read about Americans having trouble with it than you are people in other countries.

5. Kimball macrumors regular

Yup, it looses 3G reception within 20 secs, EDGE never goes down though, so it wont affect calls, just data when held that way. Still kinda sucks :( This is in Sweden.

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think you hear more about it for a couple reasons:

1) the phone launched in the US on AT&T first
    2) we like to bitch in America
    3) we like it a lot
    4) no, really
    5) we are a nation of whiny crybabies

That said, I love my country and all. :)

7. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I can physically see it drop 10 to 20 dBm when using Signal app, but my reception is so strong in Toronto that this drop does not even result in a single bar going down.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

when you said grip of death i thought you meant how they changed their contract to be 350 dollars for early contract cancellation they did this year. thats a big ouch for the new att people. Unlike before when it was 150 dollars to get out of contract. luckily my contract was made before they changed it so i just dropped out of my att contract yesterday for 112.00. Not bad really since my bill was like 80 anyway.