Is the hdmi port bi directional on the new Mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mellofello, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

Ok this is the moment I have been waiting for. I am in the process of buying a new home. I have been debating getting rid of my 2010 iMac which has been a total pos and in the shop 3 times this year, and my 2010 macbook air then replacing both with a newer pro. I think apple made up my mind for me. My Ideal situation will be having the pro docked controlling all of my entertainment center including a 27 inch cinema display and a 50 inch 3-D TV in a adjacent living room. The new iPad is mature enough for my travel needs now, that I have left my computer at home for my past two trips and have not missed it, so no need for the air anymore.

Does anyone know if the hdmi port can both send and receive? I am really hoping that it can do both so that I can hook it up to a receiver and both watch Blu-ray on the glorious screen and have everything inputted/ outputted with just one cable. The plan is to have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard in the living room and when I want to watch Hulu or torrents just cuing it up from there.

The plan is also to pick up a 27 inch thunderbolt display for when I need to do my editing does anyone know if it will output to both at once? This way my girlfriend can still watch torrents on the TV while I am getting work done on the same computer.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's output only.

3. iVoid macrumors 65816

Yes, you can have up to two external displays on the new MBP. So one via a thunderbolt port and one via the HDMI should work fine.