Is the Home Button still a button? I'm lost.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KidSqueek, Sep 10, 2013.

1. KidSqueek macrumors newbie

KidSqueek

Sorry of this sounds rather silly but I'm confuse about the new home button. Traditionally we would press down to on the home button to awake the phone and to close apps and what not. Now with the finger print reader, is it still a button to press down on to close apps and awake the phone or is it a captive button where we just place our finger there to do all that? Sorry if I don't make any sense.

2. biohead macrumors 6502

3. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I'm sure it's still a physical push button, with just an added sensor that you can place and hold your finger on when needed.

4. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

5. Poly macrumors 6502

Now let it begin! :confused:

I HOPE it is capacitive...but i THINK it is tactile.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

7. L T macrumors 6502

L T

If you look on the picture of the home bottom broken down into bits, the very bottom layer is a tactile plate, so it will still function the same as the home buttons we know and love

8. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I have never got why people want a capacitive home button... I just don't get it... you would always knock it returning to the home screen...

9. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Do we really love how it works now?

10. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I love how the tactile button works. My home button has never failed me. Then again I take care of my phone.

11. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

yes, looking at the video, you only need to press the button and its automatically unlock the phone.

12. KidSqueek thread starter macrumors newbie

KidSqueek

So the infamous "home button not working anymore" problem will continue to haunt us. Boo... Well hopefully this new button will fix that.

13. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I heard that happens because of gunk that gets built up in the charge port area. I use port covers. And didnt they give the home button more strength in the iPhone 5?

Either way, my 4S button is just as solid and responsive as the day I bought it. I dont believe the home button issue is as widespread as you're making it seem. More people had problem with the power/lock button.

14. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Possibly, but it has been redesigned. There's a good chance they've addressed the failing button issue during the redesign.

15. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

from loopinsight

16. dojoman macrumors 65816

Nope. You don't even need to press it. When the phone is locked you just rest your finger on the home button and it will unlock automatically. You'd press the home button when you're in an App. It's both capacitive and tactile button.