is the imac worth buying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rmuttproduction, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. rmuttproduction macrumors newbie

    Feb 25, 2004
    ontological wasteland
    I am buying a new mac soon. (joy!). I have a g4, 867, powerbook and was considering an imac for ease of use/space/etc. I am a busy photographer and the 20inch appeals to me. But, when will the g5 actually be reaching the imac model? I don't mind the imac being non-upgradable-- my pb has served me fine but I want to buy into an acceptable speed and ride that model out for awhile. If it's going to be months I might consider buying now-- but would really feel like an ass if the g5 hits the imac in march or april.
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    why not just get a 20" display and connect it to your PB?

    iMac won't be much faster than the PB you have... at least, not worth the price...
  3. applemacdude macrumors 68040


    Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  4. rmuttproduction thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 25, 2004
    ontological wasteland
    I want a second machine, a desktop, and not just a bigger monitor. My PB is no longer under warranty-- and though it is still functioning properly it has developed a few "quirks" that range from amusing to a hassle to a rising dread of lost data.

    I like the all-in-one aspect of the imac, but want a machine that is faster than the one I currently have.

    I read a lot of rumors here(go figure) about g5s hitting the market in new powermacs, the pb, and eventually the imac. But, how long do you figure "eventually" might be and what will this ungrade do to the cost?

    Also, is it advisable to buy directly from apple for security etc? I can get an educational discount.
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    generally, only apple offers edu. discount so the best bet is to purchase from them. you are unlikely to find better prices elsewhere. (occasionally, apple edu. discont + sales tax prices are "beaten" by reseller with no sales tax + necessary freebies (ex. RAM), but it's rare.)

    if you are worried about G5, then i'd get the low G5 PM and a cheap monitor. or an eMac to tie you over until G5 iMac?

    if you are going to wait, i'd prepare for the worst: no G5 iMac until end of 2004 or beyond... and just be happy if it comes sooner than that.
  6. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    I am in a similar situation. I have an iBook right now, and I'm planning on buying a 20" iMac soon. The G4 is getting old and I want my next mac to last a long time. I decided to wait until the G5 is in the iMac. It will have a much longer life especially when software is being optimized for G5’s. I’m expecting a G5 iMac in early 2005. I can afford to wait with my current iBook.

  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Re: is the imac worth buying?

    Thats the big question isnt it, when they added the 20" screen they didnt touch the base so that means its been at 1.25(G4) for half a year or more. so this means another moto bump to 1.4 or a new G5 machine. I would guess they would have bumped it up allready unless going to a G5. The waiting game. I cant see them putting a G5 in it until Powermacs get another bump. It maybe a little while longer.
  8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601


    Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    Re: Re: is the imac worth buying?

    Well, the thing is that there haven't been a lot of rumors concerning the iMac and the G5. At least what I have heard of.

    I would expect that the updates are coming soon and that the iMac comes with the G5 then.

    At least I would wait for the next update because it should be around the corner.
  9. rmuttproduction thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 25, 2004
    ontological wasteland
    Well, 2005 is definitely too long to wait for the g5 to land in the imac, at least for me. I there any credible evidence that there will be a speed bump in the imac between now and then, a new g4 speed in the next month or so?
    I'd really like to get a new machine and have two users putting a heavy workload on my current PB.
    Once the software is "optimized" for the g5, what will that mean for performance on a g4 imac and my PB-- say photoshop, panther, final cut, etc. This new imac will have to last several years and I'd hate to be dragging along in the processor stone age-- apologies to low end mac users for that statement.
    My pB is fast enough now-- but that becomes relative real fast when your new machine hits the market with a g5 a month or two after you buy it.
  10. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    I think you are in a bit of a hard spot then. I don't see any new imacs before the end of the year, and if you need it to last more than 2.5 years I would imagine a G4 isn't going to fit the bill. At this point in time I don't think there is an All-in-one that fits your needs :( I have thought hard about picking up a 17'' inch iMac, but I don't want to have to buy another one again in 2 years. Luckily I have the option of waiting. I like the lack of space they take up as well, but is it really less than a notebook? My powerbook takes up hardly any room. Also what about picking up an older Rev./Refurbished/used 17'' iMac and use it untill the new G5 ones come out, then sell it. Another thing to keep in mind, isn't the iMac getting remade? so who is to say you will like the new design? Enough of my thoughts though, Good Luck with whatever you end up with, you in an enviable possition.
  11. zim macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2002
    My wife and I just got a 20" iMac, 7 days only as of today, upgraded from a G3 iMac. I think that it is an incredible machine. The screen blows me away, it seems more brilliant then the cinema displays but that could just be due to my poor lighting in the house. I run FCE, Adobe Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Flash MX04 Pro and Dreamweaver with no slow down, also the usual email web and iCal apps. I got it at the apple store with the added 512 chip, 768 total.

    I had looked at the G5 but for the price, and I wanted to buy it outright, no loans, I could not get what I wanted. I say go for it, you will be extremely happy.
  12. cubist macrumors 68020

    Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    IMHO the G5 iMac will be around Sept., and I'm hoping to hold out. But that $1899 deal is pretty tempting... refurb 1.8's for $1699... and refurb 1.6's for $1399. The 1.6 will be a lot faster and more expandable than any iMac. Of course it will take up a lot more space and make a lot more noise.
  13. 512ke macrumors 6502a


    Sep 10, 2003
    17" iMac

    I've had several macs. The 17" iMac is my fav of the bunch. It's "refined". The bugs are worked out. Quiet. Doesn't crash. Handles iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and Garageband very well. The response is zippy. The adjustable screen rocks. Very comfortable.

    If you get an iMac now it will be outdated in two years. If you get a G5 iMac in September it will be outdated in two years. By Fall 2005, I'll bet that anything you can buy now will seem like a turtle.

    Personally...I prefer a quiet, refined, smooth turtle rather than a quirky untested revision A turtle.
  14. rmuttproduction thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 25, 2004
    ontological wasteland
    If I purchase an imac g4 now, since it is needed, what am I likely to be able to get for it on say ebay after the g5 imac debuts and goes through a little testing period to iron out the bugs?
    are the imacs retaining their value?
  15. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

    Dale Sorel

    Jan 12, 2003
    No thanks...I'm doing quite fine with my 15" FS G4 :)
  16. adamjay macrumors 6502a


    Feb 3, 2004
    when you think about buying a computer, the question of whether or not it is the latest greatest thing is always there, but the question you really need to ask is will it suit your needs? and will your needs change in the next 3 to 5 years? change so much that you would need more machine?

    i do professional audio on my powerbook g4 867 and recently purchased a 2nd hand powerbook g4 400mhz only to find out that all the things i have been doing on the 867, i could easily do in the same amount of time on the 400mhz.

    being a photographer, if you do your own digital editing, the G5 will certainly appeal to you... but if the G5 wasnt even in the picture.. would the G4 still suit your needs? in other words, when the G4 came out alot of photographers and film / audio technicians were amazed and shocked at what it could do, remember that feeling? has the approach to your work changed in any remarkable way sense you first got the G4 and said "wow"!.. ?

    if not, then stick with the G4... as much as i covet my mac's, i certainly don't feel the need for the latest greatest thing. its a bit placebo i think.
    Virginia Tech needs the G5 to cure cancer... do you necessarily need the G5 to digitally burn and dodge a photograph?

    if you arent getting the most out of your G4 now, and or not hitting the "Ceiling" of the G4, then there is no need to get a G5. and the iMac 20" certainly is a beautiful machine, and will be a beautiful, productive machine for years to come.
  17. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

    Oct 20, 2003
    Better software means better hardware choices

    As I became interested in video editing a few years ago, I upgraded from a Graphite DV SE to a Dual 1.25 simply due to iMovie 2.0 requiring alot of horsepower (at the time, I was transferring many old tapes to DVD, and wanted the extra speed of the Dual 1.25).

    Now that I've graduated to FCE, I simply don't need the power, speed, and NOISE of my Dual 1.25. I am seriously considering a 20" iMac for: all-in-one beauty; total wireless connectivity (my Dual 1.25 doesn't support Blue Tooth as far as I know); relative quietness; beautiful 20" display; and yes, tremendous "cool" factor.

    With the extraordinary software advances of FCE and iDVD 4.0, I am willing to "trade down" to a more elligant and quiet 20" iMac. Certainly I would prefer it to be G5 powered, but IMHO I do not see this happening until at least the PowerBooks are G5 equipped. Add to that the fact that I would prefer a Rev. B G5 iMac, and it looks like I would be waiting until at least late 2005...or beyond...and what about a possible change in this famous form-factor? Personally, I feel that the new G5 desktops have lost some of the "cool factor", although I realise that these are obviously serious machines for very serious work.

    Additionally, Panther has allowed the slower processors to get the snappy "feel" of a faster CPU/GPU.

    If and when I order and receive my tricked-out 20" iMac, I will certainly report back to share the joy.

    Hope this helps you make the right decision...
  18. rmuttproduction thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 25, 2004
    ontological wasteland
    Well, thanks to everyone for their input. I decided that the imac was too long a wait, potentially, for the g5.
    I would like my new mac to last for a spell.
    I bought a 1.8 dual g5 and said the hell with it.
    Woo Hoo!
    My visa is on fire and I couldn't be happier.
    Oh yeah, when ups drops that puppy off I will be a notch happier.
    Regardless, thanks for the advice.
  19. zim macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2002
    You will be extremely happy with the 20" iMac's screen and performance. I have just finished my second video on it and could not be happier.

Share This Page