iPad Is the iPad 3 a good buy for the long run. How many iOS updates will it approx get ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeS007, Sep 24, 2013.

1. MikeS007 macrumors newbie

Is the iPad 3 a good buy for the long run. How many iOS updates will it approx get ?

2. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

Not a good buy. Apple's stepchild. Outdated connector.
    Better buy iPad 4 after 5 is out. The 4 is the 3 in SE version: Faster processor - and heat problem solved; new connector.
    I think, max. two more main updates. Only a guess.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

iPad 3 doesn't even get ios7 features like air drop. Stay away.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Hell no. I own one and I vouch for that. I got it because it was the first with Retina, a huge difference between it and the iPad 2. The iPad 4 has the lightning connector and a little extra juice under the hood. I'm expecting the iPad 5 to get quite a little boost inside, probably get slimmed down on the outside and include Touch ID.

I have no good reason to buy a new iPad, which is why I won't for a while on my awesome paycheck. But I will hate having 8,000 of the 30-pin cables around for just my iPad once I can get my iPhone 5S. I'm assuming my need to upgrade the iPad will pretty much be "it no work no more" without the addition of some killer feature akin to the Retina display. Like if the iPad 6 comes out and you can fold it into an iPad, yeah, I'll bite. Until then, it's probably 'til death do us part.

5. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

No. I regret ever buying it, should have waited for the iPad 4. The A5X can't really cope with the retina resolution and it didn't even get all the iOS 7 features.

6. bobright macrumors 601

It depends on what your uses are, I have one and for music/web browsing/ebooks etc its fast enough and fine for me. I own a 5s (as recent iPads are similar I believe under the hood) and it really isn't much of a difference speed wise and to where its a bad experience. If you're trying to save and its within your budget go for it. If I were to upgrade though I'd wait for the next gen and not get a 4.

7. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Yes it can. iOS 6 was butter. Ios7 has some issues that should be sorted out in 7.1.

I got two ipad 3s a month before release and was a bit disappointed. But it is still so nice to use that u simply don't care.

Same could be said for my iPhone 4S. Still awesome as the day it arrived.

I'll update soon but I am watching the mini closet this time.

8. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Speak for yourself. I'm certainly not the only one who feels that the iPad 3 can be pretty sluggish, even on iOS 6 (cf. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/9). I think it's very, very telling that Apple felt the need to upgrade the iPad's SOC after only a couple of months.

I'll definitely get the 5 if they're upping the RAM to 2 GB this time.

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

As others have touched on, I can't see getting an iPad 3 at this point in the game. A refurbished iPad 4 is a great buy right now and will be even cheaper as the newest iPad rolls out.

The 3rd generation unit is not the right purchase, IMO.

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

What is your main purpose for getting an iPad ? email ? FB, twitter ? In that case I would say an iPad 3 would be fine, if the condition and price are ok. I still use mine; working ok with iOS 6 and 7. Yes, some stuff is missing but again: for what you want to use it.
    If you plan lots games I would go for iPad 4/wait for iPad 5.
    As for updates: I would assume iOS8 will be still ok; later not sure.

Just my ¥2

11. PaulWog Suspended

@ the question of the thread:

Any retina display iPad could be the right buy if you get it at the right price. If an iPad 3 in great condition with a battery that hasn't run through a ton of cycles ends up costing you $200, that's a good buy. But if you end up having to spend say $400 or so for a used iPad, or an older iPad, you might as well (in my opinion) shell out the cash for the newest version.

Definitely wait to see what comes out next.

One thing that I think is true: The iPad 2 and iPad 3 were both excellent buys (longevity-wise) for people who jumped on the bandwagon when they were released. The iPad 3 is proving to be the best bang-for-the-buck iPad currently, since the iPad 4 hasn't outshadowed the iPad 3 in the same way the 3 did to the 2, and the 2 did to the 1. In fact, it's very possible that the iPad 4 will end up being outdated at about the same time the iPad 3 becomes outdated. Just to add one more thing: If the retina display isn't a huge thing for you, even the iPad 2 is comparable to the 2 and 3 (but the retina display for me is hugely important and single-handedly is the reason why I look at the 3 outshadowing the 2 so much).

That said, just because the iPad 3 has been good for so long, it doesn't mean that you should jump at it now. It's good for those who invested in it when it came out.

So anyway, since I find the iPad 3 and iPad 4 so comparable (and speculatively on the same product life span cycle), I would say you might be better off going with a new iPad 5 if the best deal is what you're looking for. That is, if it turns out to be a decent jump like the 2 and 3 both did.

Out of curiosity, what heat problems? I realize I'm not everyone's experience with the iPad 3, but I've never had issues with mine (it gets warm, but I've taken it to the desert on vacation two summers in a row and used it in extreme heat with no issues). No issues at home, no issues when I take it out, no issues ever. I did hear about people complaining about it getting warmer than the iPad 2 by comparison when it came out, but that's all I can think of?

12. Elvergun macrumors 6502

Elvergun

Well, I'll speak for myself, and I agree with Sym0. My iPad3 is smooth as "butter" with iOS6...and it was not bad with iOS7. I downgraded the OS because of the little bugs that are also being reported by iPad4/Mini owners.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

IMO, there was a bigger improvement between the 3 to the 4 versus the 2 to the 3. The retina display was really the only thing that differentiated the 3 from the 2. And, the 2 was lighter and thinner still. The iPad 4 introduced the much better chip and graphic set along with the new connector. The 4 may have upped the Ram too but I forget.

The way I see it - yeah, if you can get a 3rd gen ipad for a great price then by all means grab it. But, to me, the "deal" wil be on the iPad 4, especially refurbs which always end up being great devices for good prices. The 3 will be left out sooner, not from an update or support standpoint but more from a "which ipad to buy" standpoint. For those really looking to save money, they can just get the 2. The rest will grab the 4th and 5th gen models. I just dont see how the 3 fits into that mix for a buyer.

I have an ipad 2 and Im leaning towards getting a 4th gen iPad when the release the 5 since the prices will come down on the 4 even more once that craze begins.

Geesh - all those 3's and 4's and 2's I hope my post made sense :D

14. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

My ipad3 is very smooth on ios7, and I assume it will only improve as Apple release the inevitable bug fixes etc... Actually, right now, I can't think of any bugs, but there must be some.

The only missing feature is airdrop, which I might use occasionally, but not very often. There are apps that do the same thing, but the person you are sending the file to must have the same app.

All of that said, if you want to save some $, I would wait for a refurbished 4 when the 5 is released. Generally, these are very good deals and Apple stands behind their refurbs like new.

15. irDigital0l Guest

iPad 3 started with iOS 5.1

iOS 5
    iOS 6
    iOS 7

I expect it to be supported limited by iOS 8 because its not even getting all the features for iOS 7.

Just wait for the iPad 5.

16. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I own one. Short answer: no, not a good buy. iPad 4 was released very shortly after iPad 3.

Wait for the fourth quarter release of the new iPads, especially the iPad mini 2, which could be an amazing device for the form factor.

17. yegon macrumors 68020

Had a 3 since launch, been very happy with it, but I would under no circumstances recommend buying one now. iOS7 runs fine on mine, and will likely improve with a couple of point releases, but we're probably into end times with regards to future updates - if iOS8 does come to the 3, it'll be feature poor and run like a slug, avoid.

I'll be all over an iPad 5 shortly, cannot wait! I hope they release 128gb versions straight from the kick off.

18. aneftp macrumors 601

Agreed. i doubt ipad 3 will even get ios8. Unless iOS 8 is a major upgrade, it's hard to imagine apple updating ipad 3. They discontinue production October 2012. It will be Sept/Oct 2014 when iOS8 hits. That's a full 2 years after it stopped production.

iPad 3 will end like iPad 1. With a total of 2.5 years of software updates.

Remember Apple has very little incentive to keep supporting ipads vs. iPhones. iPhones Apple has customers who purchased old models on contracts and they would piss their customers and carriers off by limiting support for "old iphone 3GS and iPhone 4s". That's why iPhone 3GS got iOS6 and iPhone 4 got iOS7.

The iPad 1 and iPhone 4 run the same A4 processor (iphone has 512mb ram vs 256mb of ram). But the 3GS had 256MB of RAM but ran iOS6 and iPad 1 support stopped at iOS5.

19. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

I remember forum posts. First the one about the 3 being much warmer (being hot)/ then others, after incarnation 4 has been introduced, claiming, the heat issue has been solved.
    I never did use a 3 myself, so I am refuced to "readwrite".

20. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

There is more than a "little" extra juice under the hood. iOS 7 itself is testament to that, never mind graphical performance on intense games. Went from a 3 to a 4, not regretted it since.

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I definitely do not like the 3... so I would stay away from it as others have suggested in this thread. However I think the 3 will absolutely get the next iOS upgrade since they are still selling the iPad 2. So I predict it definitely gets iOS 8 and maybe even 9. Obviously it will get fewer and fewer features. Getting a refurbished iPad 4 is probably the best thing to do at this point imo.

22. bobright macrumors 601

IMO 3 to 4 meh now the 5 were probably talking some real noticeable differences depending on whats in it

23. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Do not but an iPad 3. Wait for the new one then buy the 4. I have one and by far, the biggest problem is that the GPU is too weak for the high resolution. The iPad 4 has a *far* better GPU.

24. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It launched with iOS 5, got 6 and 7 so I'm guessing probably one more before it runs it's course. But I don't think I would get one now unless you get an amazing deal. Wait for the 5 and get that or a cheaper iPad 4.

25. James717 macrumors regular

The 4 is the same price, if not only a few bucks more, right?

----------

Or get the ipad 4. Why wait?