iPad is the iPad Air 2 by far the most Complete iPad even for some years to come ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Nov 13, 2014.

1. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Hello Guys,

I am in a dilemma if you guys can help me out of this. I have the iPad-3 which I got back in 2012,which I am kinda ok with, but after the last 2 iPad Air have been released, the thin bezel, and light weight has started enticing me to go for it. Having said that I don't really use my iPad that extensively. It is like my stand by device after my PC and iPhone. So It would be just fair to say though I may want it, though I may like it. I guess I don't need it. I don't consider myself too much in to this game of changing my iDevices or any devices for that matter with every change in season lol ! One Device for fall, another for winter then for summer and so on and so forth.

So here's my question if I wanna keep an iPad for atleast some years to come maybe 3-4 years do you guys think the current iPad Air-2 has reached the epitome, pinnacle of excellence and one can easily consider this as an iPad which is by far complete in all aspects Looks, Build, Weight, Screen, User Experience, everything. I am thinking about settling down with one Final iPad atleast for some years to come before I again change. Do you guys think the iPad Air-2 in that sense is complete in all aspects and can easily be considered as an iPad one can think of keeping for some years to come ? Any suggestions ?

2. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Not sure why people think good specs future proof an iOS device.

Bad coding and planned obsolescence will make future proof specs moot.

No devices sales, no stream of revenue for Apple.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Compared to what you have now or what they offered last year? Yes.

Compared to what will come? Who knows!

4. urkel macrumors 68030

Nope.

The iPad, in its current form, is growing old and stale. In no way does that mean it's not awesome, but it definitely is a product that is no longer synonymous with "exciting" or "innovative".

So, while the 6th gen iPad is powered enough to last a few more generations, I don't believe Apple is going to stay on this path of "thinner and faster" annual updates. Some time soon (iPad Pro?) Apple is going to veer towards a new direction and, as with any "legacy" Apple product, when Apple goes a new direction then they burn the road behind them.

(That said, if you can get a good deal during Black Friday then go for it. It's a solid device with or without Apples support)

5. DFZD macrumors regular

Ignore the cynical deep insight offered here.

Your purchase should only depend upon your use. Do you want to use it for gaming or for productivity and casual surfing/videos?

I think an iPad Air 1 is breathtaking product for $400 if you are like me in the latter. It's light enough to not feel bloated like the iPad 4.

6. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Ignore the naysayers penning a grim future for the iPad. It's hardly showing any signs of being abandoned by Apple. People are still using the first gen iPad for crying out loud;not me, but some people still use it for general Internet and video consumption.

While no one can definitively say how long the Air 2 is going to be "relevant", you can bet it will be useful and solid for 3 or 4 years. That's pretty good for a 500-800 dollar product.

This latest update has resulted in a wonderful, light, and blazingly fast device. Best tablet on the market. It's a great time to get one, just don't short yourself by getting the 16GB model.

7. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

If I didn't have an iPad mini 2, I would get the Air 2 in a heartbeat

For most of the reasons cited here, I think the Air 2 is a great device. Furture iPads will have 2GB RAM, minimum -- and you know Apple will keep that going for as long as possible, so you're good there. The WiFi, touch ID, and NFC for Apple Pay will be useful for at least 2 - 3 years. I read it on another forum, but the Air 2 feels like the stalwart iPad 2 which Apple kept selling even after the iPad 3.

It doesn't sound like you are a heavy user of all the different features an iPad has, so given your outlined uses, I think the Air 2 would definitely last you 3 - 4 years. Like you, I bought the iPad 3, and it is running iOS 8, and the family uses it without complaint. I got the iPad mini 2 last year because I wanted to port around my iPad more easily, and as you know, the iPad 3 is heavy and cumbersome. I still think the iPad Air isn't as portable as a mini, hence the mini 2. Moreover, because the mini 2 had the same specs as the Air, I felt like I was only making a choice over size. If I was doing it this year, the mini 3 wouldn't feels as good of a choice, whereas the Air 2 seems to check all the boxes. But as mentioned above -- get at least 64GB, possibly 128GB. Lack of space may limit what you do with iPad more than the processing specs.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

It really is impossible to tell, but when you compare the iPad 2 to the iPad Air 2 they both were the first with certain features. For instance:

iPad 2, first iPad with 2 cores. iPad Air 2, first iPad with 3 cores.
    iPad 2, first iPad with 512MB of RAM. iPad Air 2, first iPad with 2GB of RAM.

I think the reason the iPad 2 received so many OS updates is because of the fact that the A5 was used for so long. In fact, it's still being used in the iPod touch and Apple TV.

I should mention people thought the same thing last year with the iPad Air since it was the first with 64-bit processing and the fact that the A7 was so much more powerful then the A6.

Only time will tell.

9. JustThinkin' macrumors 6502

You rarely use your iPad 3rd gen, so what do you care? ;)

I think the upcoming 12.x inch "iPad Pro" (or its 2nd generation) will be it, if you want that big of a screen.

If you want the ~10" size, the iPad Air 2 is probably it. I think some of Apple's (and consumers') attention may shift to the larger model, especially if it's priced fairly enough. But the iPad Air 2 already has about the same level of performance that's rumored for the new model, so yes - the Air 2 has already hit an apex of sorts.

Like many others' experiences, my iPad 3rd Gen wasn't very stable. Fortunately the 4th Gen was rumored/announced shortly after I got it, so I was able to take it back just in time and simply wait a few weeks for the new model to come in.

If you're on the 3rd Gen be glad it's working OK for you. Either way, I think it's time to upgrade your iPad.

10. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I've had all iPad versions since the first one in 2010. This new Air 2 clearly surpasses the Air and all prior versions.

Mostly it has minor incremental updates, but well worth the money. To me at least, I can feel the A8X being faster than the A7, along with the 802.11ac wifi. The slimness is noticeable with my other iPad Air, and the anti reflective coating is nice to have.

11. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

I have a 3 (and a Mini 2) and going to hold on to my 3 for at least another year. I was on the fence and took my 3 to the Applestore to compare it with the Air2. That's when I decided that I just couldn't justify the chunk of cash for the Air2. It sure is a nice device, but for me it doesn't do anything relevant that my 3 doesn't. Just a little bit faster. I took in consideration that I was lucky enough to get a perfect screen on my 3, and actually liked it better than those on the Air2's that all were a little blueish, whereas my 3 is cool white. And I really didn't like the vibrations when turning up the volume. I left my 3 on iOS 7.1 and it's smooth enough. I just browse and watch a video now and then and for that the 3 is still fine. I guess if you do a lot of gaming or productive things you'd want to have the extra horsepower. In the end the Air2 is just the same old ipad, just a little faster. I'm going to wait untill Apple releases an ipad that does something new that's relevant to me, like splitscreen and seperate useraccounts on iOS 9, hopefully. There's always something better down the line;).

12. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

Another thing, 16 GB is just fine if you just browse and watch youtube. Can't understand why you would want to splash an extra 100 for extra memory when you're not going to use it. My 3 is the 32 GB model and the only time I ever 'needed' that was on holiday where I loaded some movies on it for my kids. I myself don't need it.

13. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

I could have quoted anybody else also from the people here, but I thought of quoting you is because I liked the way you put it by saying that anyways I dont use my iPad much ! So what do I care ?? But then you also go on to say that eitherways it is time for me to upgrade my iPad ? Didnt quite get it with the conflicting suggestions that you gave.

But this is for everyone who have suggested me some answers and that is, I also kinda fathom that maybe this current iPad Air-2 has everything almost everything infact everything...What more and what next can Apple add to it ? than some hardware developments with the Chip and Memory and Storage. which all the devices all brand products go through religiously every life cycle !! so that is not something that should shock anyone ! But having said this it does look like that Apple is gearing up to focus on the iPad Pro's launch and then will nurture it and bring it a level where it has brought the iPad so my feeling is, is it possible that apart from some hardware improvements Apple will not really decorate the current iPad Air-2's 2015 version with anything more ? Would it be safe to say that ? That for some years the spotlight and focus is and will remain on the iPad Pro and hence the 9.7 Inch iPad taking a bit of a back seat and hence not being showered with any make-overs ! Do you guys also think that ?

14. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

Does the slim design ? Thin Bezel ? Extremely Light Weight ? The New LCD Screen with the Icons and images appearing more closer, all these does it not appeal to you ? Makes sense to you ?

That you can anyways upgrade your device to whatever new iOS that Apple releases as long as the device has hardware to support it !

15. Alex225 macrumors regular

I do wonder if the big performance/hardware improvements that Apple have put in the Air 2 but kept relatively quiet could be down to the fact that it's got the same internals as the Pro.

What I mean is that if the fabled Pro comes out they'll announce it as most powerful iPad ever, tell the world about the RAM, graphics etc. Where as actually it's internally the same or similar to the Air 2 but if they play that down the Pro will be perceived as superior device as far as the general public would be concerned.

I'm just theorising that this could mean the spec of the Air 2 could have some extra longevity if the same hardware is in a device released 6 months after the other. In the same as the iPad 2 and Mini.

That said it could all be nonsense so buy one and enjoy anyway haha Tis a great bit of kit :)

16. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

Yes it does. But if you want to buy it for these reasons, please do! Sure thinner, lighter, faster is all very nice, but to me those things are not worth 600 dollars (euro's in my case) when it does exactly the same things as my 3, just a little faster. I was not that impressed with the screen upgrade tbh, because I didn't notice much of a difference. It's a nice screen for sure, but so is the one on my 3 and I like the tint on that one better. Guess I was just lucky back in 2012 to get an even cool white one. Now if Apple comes up with a higher res screen, preferably an oled one so we leave these bookspine and tinting issues behind us, I couldn't be happier. And I don't like the vibrations. Hopefully that gets fixed next year.

Why buy an ipad this year to upgrade it next year when iOS hopefully offers something new? By then the Air2 is a year old device and is surpassed by a more awesome one. That doesn't make sense to me. I rather buy the new model with the even better specs. But hey, that's just me;)

17. Dented macrumors 6502a

Like the stalwart Air 1 which Apple kept selling even after the Air 2? How about the stalwart iPad mini that Apple kept selling even after the Mini 3?

I don't really get this argument - yes the iPad Air 2 will still be running the latest iOS version 2-3 years down the line, but that's because that is the norm for all iOS devices - they get updates. Some of them even stay on the market because they make economic budget models for Apple to sell next to the current one. Of course this may not be the case with the Air 2, with its luxurious 2gb ram - since iOS will carry on supporting many older models for years to come anyway, they may instead drop the Air 2 altogether after a year and keep the Air around as the higher margin backup against the Air 3.

Will the Air 2's 2gb and Touch ID make it immortal somehow, and longer lasting than previous iPads? Of course not. It will be supported for the same length of time and then it will be rendered effectively obsolete by a bad update or simply the fact that it lacks the next major hardware change. That's how this works. If you want to have the latest and greatest you have to sell up and upgrade each year; if you don't mind making do then even the iPad 1 is still a perfectly useful device, there's nothing special about the Air 2 in that regard.

18. JustThinkin' macrumors 6502

I added a wink, because I figured if you really didn't care you wouldn't bother asking in the first place.

But if you don't need it, you don't need it. I don't need it over my iPad 4 yet (other than the fact that I keep running out of my 16GB storage space). If I find I really do need it soon, then I'll get it. It certainly has enough performance improvements, whereas I wasn't so sure with the original Air. The jump is even bigger coming from the 3rd Gen iPad.

So are the improvements significant and worthwhile, and is it powerful enough to last a few years? Absolutely.

Should you get one? Only if you need it.

19. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

No I don't. My guess is next year we will see a redesign like iphone, higher res screen (hopefully oled), wireless charging maybe, and the usual speedbump. And an improved iOS with, hopefully, splitscreen/multiwindows and seperate useraccounts. That would be awesome:D! Don't care for a bigger Ipad pro personally, but I can see it would be a good move for better penetration in the businessmarket.

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Air 2 is $399 for BF and trade yours in. You will have a nice upgrade on the cheap. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Sorry I did not post sooner. You could have avoided a headache reading everything else. Geez, what ever happened to keeping a reply simple! :)

And I guarantee you will be overjoyed with it.

21. XDarkFenixX macrumors newbie

You already missed your window. The most complete ipad was the ipad 2.

22. Kendo macrumors 68000

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1810313

23. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

I think the essential difference with the Air 2 and earlier iPads is the 2GB RAM. Going forward, 2GB RAM will be the minimum, so the OP wanted to know if getting an Air 2 would help make the device a bit longer lasting and able to take advantage of future apps, etc. I think it will because of this fact, more so than any other feature. I agree that 1 GB RAM devices will still work years from now, but I can easily see a future with 64-bit apps that won't run with 1 GB RAM, and then the Air 2 and any future iPad will be more viable.

24. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, the RAM boost *should* help but as others have eluded to, everytime they update some hardware spec everyone gets all happy but within a year or so suddenly its not as exciting as it was.

The 2GB RAM helps but is by NO means an end all. Bear in mind that its likely they'll bump RAM up even more since the A8X is such a monster chip. The apps will expect more RAM to play with. Thats how its always been and there is no reason to think it'l change with the Air 2. It wont. ;)

25. Idefix macrumors 6502

iPad 3 = coca-cola

iPad air 2 = champagne

Some people suffer because they've got a taste for champagne on a coca-cola budget...

But if you've got a champagne budget, go for it!

Just be aware of the bad speakers...