Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melias24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
(First post, new to these forums, just to let you know I'm an Apple, Android and Windows person) Hey guys, so I want a cheap budget tablet. I used to be a heavy apple iPod user, and spent lots of money on the apple app store.

Me being a primarily android user, I had a look at the nexus 7, though its specs on paper are a bit better, (I think) I didn't like the large bezels. So I saw the iPad mini 1st gen, though costing more I like it.

So here's the question, will this iPad last me another 2 years?? I just want something I can browse at ease with instead of having to sit at my desktop. I also play casual games, like boom beach, two dots and simple light games like that. Only game I can see being a bit intense (even if its on the iPad app store) is fifa 14/15.

~Elias

EdenTan

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
In my opinion, you should buy an iPad mini 2 from the refurbished store offered by Apple :)

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Or right now Best Buy has the rMini 3 for $100 off. I am thinking about picking me up one just for casual browsing when i don't want to whip out my Macbook.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
(First post, new to these forums, just to let you know I'm an Apple, Android and Windows person) Hey guys, so I want a cheap budget tablet. I used to be a heavy apple iPod user, and spent lots of money on the apple app store.

Me being a primarily android user, I had a look at the nexus 7, though its specs on paper are a bit better, (I think) I didn't like the large bezels. So I saw the iPad mini 1st gen, though costing more I like it.

So here's the question, will this iPad last me another 2 years?? I just want something I can browse at ease with instead of having to sit at my desktop. I also play casual games, like boom beach, two dots and simple light games like that. Only game I can see being a bit intense (even if its on the iPad app store) is fifa 14/15.

~Elias
For your needs, I would buy the iPad Mini 3 that is currently on sale for $299 ($50 more than the iPad Mini 1). This version will last you MUCH longer because of the extra RAM and 64-bit A7 chip with performance improvements coming in iOS 9. Plus, I don't expect the iPad Mini 1 to be able to run iOS 10.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It's still supported. It was never good.

The mini 2 is a much MUCH better device.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
No way. We have 15 of them where I work, we just bought iPad Mini 2's and they are so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.