Is the iPhone 4 still good for next year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac26, May 23, 2012.

1. mac26 macrumors 6502

I am really want to replace my aging iPhone 3G, which I only use as a phone-phone, in the coming weeks (I really am not liking the current iPhone 5 mock-ups and the 3G is driving me nuts) and I am thinking of an iPhone 4

I will probably mostly use it for texting, email, RSS, iA writer, Fruit ninja, etc. and so do you guys think it will still be really fluid, fast and nice in iOS 6 or should I opt for the $399 Galaxy Nexus. I would almost instantly pick the Nexus but google play doesn't have as many apps as iOS that I would want.

What do you guys think?
    Help & advice appreciated & welcomed!:)

2. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

I would say go for the Galaxy Nexus over the iPhone 4 because from my experience, each new version of iOS will make the previous generation device a bit slower than before. So if you're using an iPhone 4, you're best to stay at iOS 5. iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch 3rd gen is a bit sluggish using iOS 5 (what I've been experiencing), where it was really smooth with firmware 3.x.x and iOS 4.

Majority of the main apps you might use should be in Google Play. Apple App Store might have more apps, but some of them are duplicates of others.

I've used iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1, Samsung Galaxy S II (AT&T) running CM9 4.0.4, and Samsung Focus S running Windows Phone 7.5 Mango. Each OS have their advantages and disadvantages. WP7.5 is real smooth, does a lot of task fast, but lack of apps or expensive apps if there is the ones you want. Android, you can customize the interface the way you want by installing different launchers, have enough apps that you would want, does everything you need to. iOS pretty much is the same for the past.. 5 years(?), still the same theme, same old square icons for the app, nothing have change much in my opinion (I had the iPhone 2G (first gen)).

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Don't make a decision from mockups. Wait until the real thing is revealed.

4. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

most probably once launched you are gonna love the new iphone design. Remember what sir jonathan ive said about his current workload as the most important work he has ever done? it very well could be the iphone 6 imo:)..

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

OP, some of these mockups are done by people on crack. You should wait until closer to the launch for more accurate predictions.
    At least the iphone gets the update, unlike android phones where you have to mess with your phone to get timely updates.

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

You've waited this long, why not hold out a few weeks and see what happens at WWDC? They may announce nothing, because the speculated release of the new iPhone is around September, October of this year. Apple rarely makes an announcement for a new device, and then makes you wait 4 months for it. That's the other guys ;)

But 2 1/2 weeks isn't a long wait. If nothing is announced, then go for whatever floats your boat. If it were me, I'd go the 4s. Use it, and if/when the new one is out, you can easily sell it for a decent amount, then apply the difference to the new one.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why not get a 4S instead of a 4?

Since you're still using a 3G, it's clear you don't demand the latest and greatest- so there's no reason to tell you to wait the 4-5 months before the next iPhone's release... but I also don't see any reason why you wouldn't consider getting the newest current model- especially when you are concerned about how it'll run future iOS versions and are willing to pay about the same amount for the Nexus.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Don't make your decision based on those weird mockups with the super-tall screens. It's doubtful at best that Apple will come out with something like that...

9. mac26 thread starter macrumors 6502

I love your advice and I will definitely take it into consideration when I buy my new phone in a few weeks (after WWDC so i can see iOS 6 and find out how it runs on the iPhone 4).

To everyone else thanks for the advice, I get the idea of waiting but like cyks said I don't need the latest and the greatest or care for the design as I am already mighty fine with the current design of the iPhone 4/4S. I am just wondering if I should save some extra money and get an iPhone 4 if all the apps run fine; I won't be playing infinity blade so I really don't care for the graphics being X times faster etc..

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

As iOS advances, it's going to tax the processor/hardware that much more... for that reason alone, the 4S will outlast the 4... as the difference between the 3G and the 3GS shows.

11. mac26 thread starter macrumors 6502

So should I buy the 4S in the coming weeks? I will buy it in late June to mid July so I would like to make this decision soon so it is off my plate and once the time comes I don't have to spend more time deciding.

12. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

If you decided to get the iPhone 4S, doesn't really matter when you purchase it. You can buy it after WWDC to know what new features might be in iOS 6. I guess after all, you decided to stick with iPhone. If you wait a bit longer like til early September (assuming that's when the next iPhone is announced, releasing about a month after announcement), the 4S might be a bit cheaper.

13. mac26 thread starter macrumors 6502

I get what your saying but I am going to buy it brand new from a classified site and in Toronto prices rarely slip on iPhones and so the price will probably only take a $25-$40 drop, I would gladly pay the extra $40 to get my new iPhone in the coming weeks because like I said in my OP I have a 3G and it is dying and it is really ticking me off.

14. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

He said get the nexus which means updates will be on time.

15. uglysossos macrumors newbie

re

now as you know , more customers experience and more problems can be found .as more , other brand may choose to copy and do better .wherher it will be hot , I do not know ,I think should get more creative . or may be not hot :apple:

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You are deciding NOT to buy the iPhone because of a mock-up? IMO that's almost as bad as the people that are dead set on buying the next phone while having virtually no idea what it will offer them.

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If you can't wait for the next iPhone for whatever reason, I'd get the 4S so it'll at least last you another year with apples updates.

18. 7DSniper macrumors regular

You really believe any of these mockups, Apple would never use anything close to these designs. Just wait it out