Is the iPhone 4S 64GB still worth buying?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mito, May 8, 2013.

1. Mito macrumors regular

Hey guys!

I have iPhone 4S 16gb since the very first day and I love it, the only thing which annoys me is the capacity - 16gb. I'm planning to buy new iPhone 4S but with 64gb of capacity. No, I don't want iPhone 5. I just really don't like how long it is (not what she said ^^). What do you think? Is it worth buying it or should I just buy another phone?

Thanks!

2. Troneas, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

HTC One if you are open to other brands.

otherwise, the 4S is a terrific phone and could easily serve you well for the next two years if you are not too demanding of it in the long run.

3. Mito thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think HTC One would be ideal for me, I thought about Nexus 4

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The 4S is still a great phone. Some people prefer it to the 5. If you would be happy with it then it's still worth buying.

5. 617aircav Suspended

Depends on the cost. Anything above $400 no way.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes, as has been said, the 4S is a great phone and, apart from the slightly larger screen, in normal use, is indistinguishable from the 5.

7. Mito thread starter macrumors regular

Well it would cost me about 720 USD with 2 years technical support (I'm european so yeah...).

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

What others think doesn't matter. Worth is subjective. Do you think it's worth buying? You could sell off your current device to help mitigate the cost.

9. 617aircav Suspended

Bingo.

10. SMDBill macrumors 6502

Holy $!@#@ that's a lot of money for a phone that's been out a long time. I own a 4S through Sprint that I think was $99 (subsidized) but I've had it quite a while. I'm not sure today, with the competition out there, that I'd buy it at the price you listed. For me it would be about which phone, at the time of purchase, gives me the most bang for the buck and which OS I think I can use most effectively for my needs.

That's a lot of "me" in there so, as has been said, the considerations are very subjective for any phone purchase.

Edit: my subsidized cost was for a 16GB, not a 64GB, so that plays a huge part in the price. I overlooked that at first.

11. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

In the hand, the iPhone 5 is pretty awesome tbh. It doesn't feel overly "long".

That being said, I think my 64gb 4S is easily the best phone I've ever owned (GS4 included), I don't think you can really go wrong with one.

12. Mrbobb, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

I vote Go-For-It.

After selling your 16gb, the cost will be a more palatable ~360.

The 4 is just a classic. As one Wall Street Journal guy tells it, "Apple made it Too Good."

From the 4 to 5, I sense a change of direction after Jobs, in so far as the hardware aesthetic. To me the 5 has a more "normal" build and gave thinness and weight above aesthetic. Jobs was zen aesthetic. I have a sinking feeling we won't see another one built like a 4. The 4 built is like the venerable iPod mini, u hold it up and go, how did they put that together? I know, this is all emotion. :cool:

13. Mito thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so I'm going for it. Thank you guys. Currently I'm selling my iP 4S 16GB for 390 USD so at the end I shouldn't be paying much for new iP 4S 64GB

14. rsnapeuk macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5. And honestly I preferred my 4S due to the build quality.

15. Davejprince macrumors regular

Just buy an used one, as your current isn't new either.

16. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Didn't it come out in the biography or something that Steve Jobs left something like a 10 year plan and that he (helped) design the 5 and 5S?

17. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So what's the difference between a 64gb 4s and a 64gb5 where you live? That will let me give you an opinion on whether its worth it or not. I think the 4s is a very capable phone. In fact, I'd go back to a 4a over my 5. But if in dropping $700+ on a phone, I'd want current gen.

19. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

1 thing I find interesting is that the OP said he/she will be buying a new 64GB iPhone 4S. I thought Apple do not sell them brand new in 64GB variants anymore? :confused:

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Might be a third party retailer selling it to him.

He is in Europe.

He did mention buying an additional warranty (that didn't sound like AppleCare).

21. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

390? thats to much to be honest. in craigslist they go no more than $280.

22. Mito thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, it would cost me 925 USD for iPhone 5 64GB new with 2 year warranty (as this is the standart here)

----------

You can easily buy new 64GB iPhone 4S because they still have them in stock.

----------

Yeah, it is third party retailer (Apple Premium Stores don't have them anymore). In the country where I live (in Europe) it's officially obligated to have 2 year warranty on every electronic product so companies like Apple, Samsung, etc. automatically charge a bit more (yet it doesn't have the quality of "true" Apple Care)

23. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

I have one thing to say, buy the iPhone 5S when it comes out. Ok now let me explain, I know the OP said he/she doesn't like the bigger screen. When I first got an iPod touch 5 (switched from 4) I didn't like the bigger screen either however now whenever I use an iDevice with a 3.5 inch screen it feels strangely cramped. Basically it takes a little getting used to but it's awesome after that. I am very happy Apple made a bigger screen, all the other phones have huge screens so why not have a little bit bigger screen :)

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Then here is my 2 cents... it sounds like you will be keeping the phone at least two years? So that's an additional $200 over the two years, which comes out to about $8 per month. With iOS 7, if Apple introduces new software "must haves" (ie Siri, maps with navigation), the 4S is likely to not get some/all of them, sort of like what they did with the 4. If you think that matters to you, a couple bucks a month might be worth the premium. Also, I would assume that resale values are pretty high where you live if companies are able to sell these phones at the prices you are stating, so there is that to consider too, assuming you will want to resell later.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I felt the same way about theiPhone 3G, which was a really plain looking phone.