Is the iPhone 4S bumper any good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icomputered, Oct 24, 2011.

1. icomputered macrumors member

Do any of you use a bumper with your iPhone 4S? I am thinking about getting the white one, but I am afraid it won't protect my iPhone well, and I am afraid it will get dirty easily. For the people that use bumpers: If I drop my iPhone on cement from around 4-5 ft. in the air, will it break? My worst fear is the screen or back panel shattering.

2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I only ever had a bumper on my iPhone 4 and I've dropped it a zillion times. I have been through 3 bumpers but they really do protect the phone extremely well.

3. icomputered thread starter macrumors member

Do they get dirty easily?

4. vitog123 macrumors 6502

i had a black one. it works great. best case out there IMO

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

They do a great job protecting the phone but the white one DOES get dirty very easily. The black bumper + the white iPhone looks great IMO.

Any other color of bumper you should be fine with.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

But they don't protect the back, right?

7. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Yes, the bumper does. They don't conceal the back that they do protect the back.

8. CH34P3T macrumors regular

I had a bumper on my iPhone 4 and it scratched the antenna band.

9. Superbbrr macrumors member

I buy them for $2 on eBay. Plus lots of different colors.

Buy and most clean "case" there is.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

But surely when you put it on the table the back could get scatched?

11. bdzer macrumors member

I want a bumper because it looks really nice but after reading all the reviews on how **** it is, scratching up the metal band on the iPhone, $30 for that? No thanks, I'll get Ghost Armor.

12. Epiphron macrumors regular

link please?

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah those stories about scuffing the ant band has deterred me from getting a bump.

14. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Not really. The Bumpers elevate the phone enough to where the back isn't laying on a table or surface.

I read somewhere on here that someone used Scotch tape in-between the Bumper and the iPhone to avoid scratching. Doesn't seem worth it to me, it's just an FYI.

15. Chopstick217 macrumors regular

Chopstick217

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had the same issues, the apple bumper scratched the ant band on my iPhone 4. I stopped using the bumper completely

16. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

The bumper will protect the phone from impact but it depends on how it was impacted... if the phone fell on a flat surface, then fine... but if the ground is uneven then you might have a problem.. The bumper only protects the phone because the edges become elevated from the phone itself.. but if an object hits the center of the back or front of the phone with the bumper on then you are pretty much in the same position as having no case on at all.

17. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

White bumper got stained from my jeans within 2 days of using it....it's going back

18. icewing macrumors 6502

iPhone 4, black bumper for almost a year, no scratches that I could see. Got a refurb in May, had it in a black bumper since day one, just examined and don't see any scratches. It's the perfect case for me. :D

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Maybe yes. Maybe no. No guarantees. If you're really worried about impact protection then focus on cases that provide maximum impact protection (i.e. not the bumpers).

20. c3m macrumors member

so do you return your white shoes when your jeans stain it?

21. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Nope, but this is the first case I've ever owned to have been stained by jeans.

22. MDTyKe macrumors regular

23. big samm macrumors 65816

I have both the black and white bumper for my black 4 and white 4s. I like the white one for my s better than the black one because the black one uses rubber, while the white one uses a soft plastic! I hate when my screen is dirty and when i was cleaning my screen lint would always stick on the black one because of the rubber, on the white one i have no problem with lint getting stuck on the plastic!! But yeh the white one gets dirty easier!

24. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Green one has protected my iPhone4 against numerous bumps. I can't even begin to count the number of times dropped on hard tile, stone, concrete with no issue.

6mo with it. The hard plastic has maintained a brilliant green color. The softer edges are dingy.

I figure sometime around the one year mark, or maybe it'd be a good cheapish xmas present to hint at my little sister to get me a black one that won't discolor. I'll never be able to find it, all black, but at least it won't look dingy! LOL.

----------

Done it from waste high 3-4ft several times no issue... but YMMV. I would still avoid this use if at all possible.

25. adelaide887 macrumors newbie

yeah...i just get a iphone 4s

yeah...i just get a iphone 4s,but i did not know to buy a beset and cheap iphone 4s bumpers before...,my friend told me to go to www.thegerar.com for cheap and best iphone 4s bumper and cases,yeah...there are many kinds of iPhone 4s Case and bumpers there...!