Is the IPhone 4S radioactive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onener, Oct 15, 2011.

1. onener macrumors newbie

I will wait to buy an IPhone 4S until I am completely ensured by Apple that any radioactive contamination after the Fukushima incident has actively been excluded or tested for (gamma, beta, alpha emitters).

Elements to worry:

1) Shipment and presentation of 4S are running so late because some components are made in the Fukushima disaster area and surrunding areas. As anybody knows massive contamination is spreading currently over huge areas (up to 200km). Even some quarters of Tokyo are now massively contaminted (annual limit dose reached within 20 hours, essentially ceasium but even elements such as plutonium of which 1mg is lethal). While it is true that assembly usually takes place within a protected and uncontaminated inside environment, raw input materials are often stored outside and may have been massively contaminated. Contamination of electronic parts is then inevitable. Moreover, international border checks are currently limited to very small samples given that the mass of exports just cannot be reasonably controlled.

2) Ipad 2 had formerly already been shown to be radioactively contaminated ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT6qHaKFgGY )

PS: As an example, other suppliers I know already started testing all japanese components for gamma, beta and alpha emitters already 2 days after the meltdown and ever after the incident .

PS2: This thread has been removed from the apple.com communities page. Apparently Apple does not want to transparently inform about these issues...

2. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

3. kmanmx macrumors 6502

It's got glass, metals, and all sorts of material in.

Yes, it is almost definitely radioactive. But then so are the tiles on your roof.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

5. illidan155 macrumors member

man you should go to a psicanalist for you they made the phone on fukoshima? the battery is made in japan but not for sure closo to fukoshima...
    its assembled in china anyway

6. PrinceyJ macrumors newbie

Everything is radioactive. Bananas even have their own (though disputed) unit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

Better not get too close to any bananas either!

P.S. the iPad being tested in that video is an original iPad...so it was produced before any issues in Japan.

8. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Wow the bad, man more then a million iPhones sold so pretty much if something happens apple will sink

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

you got of better than me... i have 8 legs. stupid LAPtop

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

As crazy as you may come across you do raise some interesting points.

I suppose the amount of exposure, the type of radiation and the estimated half life would all come into play as well as the origin of the raw and finished materials.

Though if you look at apple redesign patterns very few products receive a complete redesign in only a year.

One of he reasons why we didn't see leaked prototypes, in hindsight, is thee weren't any.

My speculation for the delay of the ip4 was to secure enough inventory, bring sprint on board and to split the different in upgrade cycles for Verizon's sake and perhaps delays from the earthquake.

11. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Fukushima death toll so far, zero. Fukushima death toll in 100 years will be zero.

You're more likely to get more radiation from a coal power station than nuclear.

You should go and live 1km underground, those cosmic rays and all.

12. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I ordered a CD from Japan recently and had the same thought. But I think they should check for radiation as the things get shipped in.

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

14. 7even macrumors 6502a

Why don't you get one, then wear a radioactive contamination suit and test it for us? :D

15. chdwil macrumors regular

Yes it's radioactive. I was holding my phone and then I went to tinkle. As soon as I whipped it out the radiation left on my hand caused my ding a ling to fall off.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

17. foxdougan macrumors newbie

Haha if the iPhone is radioactive and is going to pose a threat to us, then I feel sorry for the entire population of Japan who actually live there.

But seriously, no-one has died from the nuclear incident at Fukushima and it is very unlikely that you will get cancer from holding a phone which was in the same country (and it's not as if they're made in Fukushima itself).

Also, while some parts do come from Japan, the iPhone is mostly Chinese.

Take off your tin foil hat and get some rest.

18. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

I would like to see how much he got from the Sun just by being outside. That would be a more fair comparison.

I have 4 eyes... My name is Bil, Cherno Bil.

I know, lousy joke.

19. h00ligan, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

h00ligan macrumors 68030

Holy cow. Keep waiting. It's not like shipments are screened.

Start looking up radioactivity half life.

Maybe study this.
    http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Or extract the science from sixteen pages of posts on this topic of concern on a camera forum.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/991531/

20. foxdougan macrumors newbie

There we go, Tokyo received a dose of 40 mSv in the weeks following the nuclear accident. You would need at least 100 mSv to be at risk of getting cancer.

The nuclear incident in Chernobyl saw increases in one type of cancer, thyroid cancer, due to the increase in levels of radioactive iodine. However, even this saw a 5 year survival rate of 99.5%, leaving a total of about 15 deaths as a result of thyroid cancer. The key difference between Chernobyl and Fukushima is that those in the afflicted areas in Japan were given iodine tablets, which the body takes up in preference to the cancer-causing radioactive iodine. Therefore there have been no reported terminal cases in Japan, nor are there likely to be any.

Those 15 (of a population of 6 million) who died from the after effects of nuclear fallout were people who lived in the contaminated areas. So getting an iPhone with some barely affected parts, while perhaps increasing your exposure to radiation, will not give you cancer or any other illnesses for that matter.

People are far too paranoid about the effects of radiation on the body. Please remove your tin hat and join the others above ground, thank you.

21. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Radiation from having A "mobile" device can be harmful simple google search will show you the effects it has on young children's brain as their skills are more thin radiation penetration is more easily entered to the brain.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/science/201...adiation-cancer-risk?cat=science&type=article

Radiation from mobile phones has been classified as a possible cancer risk by the World Health Organisation after a major review of the effects of electromagnetic waves on human health.
    The declaration was based on evidence in published studies that intensive use of mobile phones might lead to an increased risk of glioma, a malignant form of brain cancer.

The conclusion by the WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) applies to radio-frequency electromagnetic radiation in general, though most research in the area has centred on wireless phones.
    The findings are the culmination of an IARC meeting during which 31 scientists from 14 countries assessed hundreds of published studies into the potential cancer risks posed by electromagnetic fields. The UK was represented by Simon Mann from the Health Protection Agency's Centre for Radiation, Chemicals and Environmental Hazards in Oxfordshire.
    Jonathan Samet, a scientist at the University of Southern California, who chaired the group, said: "The conclusion means that there could be some risk, and therefore we need to keep a close watch for a link between cellphones and cancer."
    In designating radio-frequency fields as "possibly carcinogenic", the WHO has put them on a par with around 240 other agents for which evidence of harm is uncertain, including low-level magnetic fields, talcum powder and working in a dry cleaners.

The report found no clear mechanism for the waves to cause brain tumours. Radiation from mobile phones is too weak to cause cancer by breaking DNA, leading scientists to suspect other, more indirect routes.

"We found some threads of evidence telling us how cancers might occur but there are acknowledged gaps and uncertainties," Samet said.

Christopher Wild, director of the IARC, said that in view of the potential implications for public health, there should be more research on long-term, heavy use of mobile phones. "Pending the availability of such information, it is important to take pragmatic measures to reduce exposure such as hands-free devices or texting," he said.
    There are around 5bn mobile phone subscriptions globally, according to the International Telecommunication Union, a UN agency for information and communication technologies.
    The IARC group reviewed research investigating potential health risks from electromagnetic fields associated with technologies such as radio, television, wireless communications and mobile phones.

The committee decided the fields were possibly carcinogenic to humans, a finding that will feed through to national health agencies in support of their efforts to minimise exposure to cancer-causing factors.

The IARC has evaluated nearly 950 chemicals, physical and biological agents, occupational exposures and lifestyle factors where there is either evidence or suspicion that they may cause cancer.

Exposure from a mobile phone base station is typically much lower than from a handset held to the ear, but concerns over the possible health effects of electromagnetic waves have extended to base stations and wireless computer networks, particularly in relation to schools.

According to the British Educational Communications and Technology Agency, half of all primary schools and 82% of secondary schools make use of wireless computer networks.
    Wi-fi equipment is restricted to a maximum output of 100 milliwatts in Europe at the most popular frequency of 2.4 gigahertz. At that level, exposure to radiowaves should not exceed guideline levels drawn up by the International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation and adopted in the UK.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That would explain that tingling feeling I get every time I use the phone.

23. foxdougan macrumors newbie

So basically no-one knows yet? That's bad science.