Is the iphone 4s retina screen still the best?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

2. App King macrumors member

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The LG Nitro HD has a higher ppi. Now whether that's better or not people will probably have a different opinion. Anything above 300 is a damn good screen in my opinion.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I've heard nothing but positive things about the HTC One X. It isn't quite "retina" from what I've heard 312 ppi), but having said that, I've heard it's beautiful.

So your question is kind of vague, depends on specifics (color reproduction, contrast, ppi, size, etc.).

5. Axne1 macrumors member

Axne1

The iPhone 4 screen is the best hands down. Coming from a ton of Top android phones , like the Galaxy nexus.

I've found the iPhone to be the best IMO .

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I feel like the colors on the iPhone are washed out. Is it just me?

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Even if they did it wouldn't matter, as the human eye can't see pixels at much more density than the iPhone.

8. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

I do think the iPhone could use just a little more contrast. Nothing too close to Samsung AMOLED though.

9. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Its a legit question

In the iphone 4s/4 keynotes they said it was the best

I havent seen any other screens so im curious if this is true

10. frida189 macrumors newbie

If first impressions add up, and the feature of experience when using the screen of the Iphone 4s is excellent. To me, this was the most significant feature of the Iphone 4s and Apple made a clever judgment to put a lot of their eggs in the screen basket, so to speak.

11. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I'd rather have a higher resolution screen than a higher ppi count and there are several android phones with a higher resolution

12. walie macrumors 6502a

htc one X >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> iphone 4/4S

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

There is only one phone with a better screen on the market.

The HTC One X.

All other phones have inferior screen tech and clarity.

14. Apple4Ever&Ever macrumors newbie

HTC One X - Cheap Chinese knock off, Apple will soon get them banned in the USA.
    It is a 2 months old phone selling cheaper than 2 years old iPhone4, what does that tell you.

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'm no fanboy, but the iPhone screen is pretty much perfect. I wish it had some kind of adjustments, but it's beautiful as is. I haven't really seen anything quite as nice out there. A lot of phones I see with supposed nice screens are all way over saturated. Good to look at for a few seconds, but would become very distracting and annoying pretty quick.

And btw, I think the iPhone screen is too small--And i'm not a fan of stretching it vertically. It needs to be taller and wider, and right around 4".

JMO.

16. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Until the S3 comes out, then there will be two and then when the Razr HD comes out there will be three etc...

17. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Doesn't the S3 have the exact same screen as the Galaxy Nexus (ie. Pentile)? If that is the case then the HTC One X's display is probably still superior.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Pentile screens suck.

Super AMOLED screens have a funky hue and have an organic material that degrades quickly.

Add the two together and you have something pretty disgusting.

19. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

said like a true fanboy. the SGS3 screen is stunning

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The answer here is going to be highly subjective. If we are talking pixel density, there are some that are higher, but that is largely irrelevant. Sort of the same difference between a lossless music format versus 192kbps mp3 played on an idevice through headphones; you simply can not tell the difference.

Now when we are talking color reproduction, visibility in bright light, etc. we have a little more data to play with.

I wouldn't say the iPhone's screen is the best at all of those, but it is pretty darn good. I don't feel like I have a strictly inferior screen when I compare it to any other on the market.

21. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

The One X screen blows away the 4/4S. Forget the ppi, go look at the One X and 4S side by side and the difference is clear. The One X has brighter whites and everything simply looks better than the 4/4S. That being said, I don't really like the rest of the One X with respect to hardware, so I don't think it's as simple as declaring the One X as the better device.

As for the SIII, I have yet to see it in person just yet, however it appears to be similar to the 4/4S with respect to a bluish hue.

The days of the retina display being king for so long are officially over.

22. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

The screen on my galaxy note blows away the iPhone screen...period

----------

Three months later and the screen on my galaxy note isn't annoying our distracting at all.its just big and beautiful...

23. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I been noticing this a lot lately. If you look at the new iPad's screen, those colors are RICH compared to the iPhone 4/4S.

I hope the new iPhone gets the same colors/contrast.

24. takeshi74 macrumors 601

And the post you're reply to is a legit criticism of your question. Best doesn't mean anything without criteria for comparison specified. Best in what way(s)?

Of course they did. Do you seriously expect any company to say otherwise about their products?

Then get out there and see for yourself. Make an assessment over the screen features that matter to you rather than asking vague, subjective questions. Nothing is ever universally best. You can proclaim something better than the alternative on one or more specific points but the importance of those points is always subjective.

25. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Is the iphone 4s retina screen still the best?

Yes!