Is the iPhone 5 screen that much better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bahroo, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Bahroo, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

Bahroo macrumors 68000

From what I am reading on posts all over this section, people are claiming that the screen is much better then the 4S/4. Yes the colors are defitnetly more vivid and colorful, I can see that and the screen reflects less then the old screen, but after that its still basically the same screen? Im wondering if my screen could be defective?

EDIT: i am not talking about the screen size, the screen size is tons better the the old screen, what i am talking about is the screen quality it self... I love the 4 inch screen and I think its perfect but that is not what i am talking about in my post...i am talking about SCREEN QUALITY

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Do you have a 4 or 4S with which to do a direct comparison? I did, and the difference is substantial.

3. PAC88 macrumors 6502

4. vipJj123 macrumors member

Does your iPhone 5 have a taller screen than the 4/4s, if not it might be defective.

5. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Could someone please post comparison pics of the same screenshot comparing an iPhone 5 screen to the 4 or 4s? Interested in the extra display room and saturation.

6. Bahroo thread starter macrumors 68000

Im not talking about the screen size....

----------

And yes I compared it to my brothers old iPhone 4, with both screen brightnesses on full and whites are defitnetly clearer, the screen is brighter and colors are more vivid but im not sure how its a night and day difference to you guys.

7. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

From the day I got my iPhone 5, I instantly noticed wayyy more saturation. But it felt natural. I also owned a Galaxy S3, I liked the screen but it felt too saturated. In a very unnatural way. Some people like that though.

So my answer: Yes the screen is way nicer than the 4/4S. To me the 3.5" screen felt very tiny. And while I've owned larger phones like the Galaxy Nexus 4.65" and GS3 4.8" the 4" screen on the 5 feels very nice.

8. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

You realize posting pictures of a display is the same as watching a video review of a high end stereo. You're seeing/hearing it through another lens. Its not even close to being the same thing as in person.

and the screen quality is clearly better. My friends iphone 5 blows the 4S display out of the water. It's honestly as breath taking as the original iphone 4 retina display when it first came out.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I found these on Google in under a minute:

Attached Files:

10. Bahroo thread starter macrumors 68000

I can tell a huge difference in the Maps app when i compare it to my brothers old i4... Colors in the Maps app are MUCH better and vivid on the 5... I also instantly saw the difference when I first launched the Yelp app, the reds were so red and bright

----------

This, besides the screen size and color reproduction...how is it "breathtaking" better? I can defitnetly agree the screen reflects less then before but im just curious to see how its much better.

11. EggrollShop macrumors member

It isn't amazingly better the the 4/4S screen but as you were saying it is noticeably better. I just love the color accuracy of the new display.

12. Bahroo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah the colors are much better, i was comparing the App store, iTunes store and a few websites on both devices and it almost sort of feels like theres a AMOLED screen in the device besides the pure blacks and retina display quality.. Best of both worlds

13. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Yup! Currently using an old 4S while waiting for my replacement 5. The 5 definitely has a better screen.

14. aleni macrumors 68020

side by side comparison is not woking for me. but after i soldy 4s, then a week later when i saw my wife's 4s. boy, i can't believe how low the quality of the 4s screen compared to the iphone 5.

it feels washed out, and the screen seems to be really deep behind the glass while the iphone 5's screen is really popped out. it's like you are touching the glass instead of the screen on the 4s.

and the 4s seems fat and short in my hand. feels really weird because of the shorter screen.

15. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Much brighter and more vivid. I really notice it in the messages.app with the green text bubbles, so much brighter.

Really noticable difference compared to my old 4S and the GF's 4

16. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Most definitely.

17. VFC macrumors 6502a

And just two months ago, you would have said the 4s is the best phone known to mankind.

There is nothing like the release of a new model to get people to reveal the true weaknesses of the current model.

18. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

The screen is significantly improved. Besides the taller screen, giving you more viewing real estate, the color saturation is indeed much better. It is really quite impressive.

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I compared my 4, my son's 4S, and my wife's 5.
    You can definitely tell the difference in each step up. The 5's screen felt more natural when viewing it. While the 4 and 4S were good in their own right, you can still see how the 5 was remarkably better than the rest.
    Again, this is just my opinion.

20. cababah macrumors 68000

Then there is the other side of the Apple nostalgia camp who swears up and down that Model X introduced [T - 1 year ago] was so much better.

21. EggrollShop macrumors member

Then again the iPhone 5 display is a sRGB. 4/4S was not.

22. katmeef macrumors 6502

Yes it's much better, until you look really close and notice the vertical interlacing-scan lines.

23. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Even with a magnifying glass I cant see them on mine at all.

24. katmeef macrumors 6502

You're lucky, my original didn't have it but I swapped it due to a dent, all the white box replacements i have gotten seem to have it.