Is the iPhone 5s a solid product? I'm reading so many of your reviews and..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krissypantz2828, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Krissypantz2828, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Interlacing screen problem, unresponsive touch ID, phone re-springs, crashing and blue screens of death. I understand that these issues aren't for everyone but it makes me think. Is this product really solid and well .. a quality product?

Give me your opinions. Because these MacRumour threads are just about enough to scare anyone away from buying it.

2. wepiii macrumors 6502

The majority of iPhone 5s owners do not have any problems whatsoever. The reason it seems like they do, is because you are looking on a forum where people are much more in to phones and technology and want a "perfect" device. It is a very solid product, and all of the problems associated with build quality that the iPhone 5 suffered with at launch have been corrected. Obviously, there will still be phones that slip through quality control that do have problems, but that's the great thing about apple products and the 1 year warranty.

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Since you joined in 2012 you probably saw the same thing happen with the iPhone 5 as well ;)

Trust me, forums are always like this. The people who are happy and satisfied will, for the most part, keep to themselves. While the very vocal minority will raise hell. While some of these are legitimate issues that will be fixed through iOS updates, some of them are simply user-error.

The best thing I could tell you is this: if there is a problem at all, Apple will take care of you. They consistently rank #1 in customer satisfaction (http://www.phonearena.com/news/J.D....faction-followed-by-Nokia-and-Samsung_id41087) for a reason, and it's not by releasing bad products.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I agree with above. People who have problems, post about it. Those that don't generally don't bother. The majority of moans I read are about colour temperature and don't actually mean a phone is faulty (just people's perception).

I disagree with the comment about launch problems with the 5 now rectified. I believe these were the same dissatisfied few speaking for the silent majority. Still using my launch day 5. Still 100% problem free.

5. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Four 5S's in this house and four very satisfied people. We all love our phones and none of us have experienced any of the issues you mentioned.

Loooove my new phone (and I upgraded from a 5).

You won't be disappointed.

6. ABC5S, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Don't ever go by what you read on any forum. Not accurate in the least. As mentioned, most complaints here are few. You do know that over 6 million iphone 5S's have been sold, and can you count how many complaints on the MacRumor forum ? Not many. ;)

7. fark macrumors regular

You've been a member here since August, 2012 and you have to ask this question?

On what discussion forum on the Internet do people start threads when they do not have any problems?

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Lies, Apple make only perfect products. iPhones are objects that deserve love, and have no defects whatsoever. Join the Apple Army today, and spread the word!

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I'm very happy with mine. No problems to report.

10. bp1000 macrumors 65816

5s is great - very happy

Occasional crash back to home screen (it's a major overhaul of iOS so I'm not surprised). App Store asked for password more times than I'd like but other than that, love it and ios7.

11. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Ok sounds good guys. Any of you coming from the iPhone 5? I am..even though people say it isnt that much faster, I think it is. :p Won't know for sure until I get mine in.

12. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

We bought a bunch of unlocked iPhone 5s, using them on T-Mobile and Verizon. Working well so far. Great phone, iOS7 is pretty good on it (though iOS does need updating for iPads and some things can be improved).

All-around great international phone.

13. joonyaboy macrumors regular

joonyaboy

14. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Well it definitely is not that much faster. I came from a 5 and it's a nice upgrade but not a must have I my opinion. If you have an upgradable line to use, it's a no-brainer but if it's going to cost you hundreds, it's a waste of money.

15. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

16. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

17. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Love mine. Works great!!

Except for the problem with the gyro/compass/level that most are aware of. It will be fixed via software or I'll swap out for a new phone once they are more readily available.

18. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Just got mine nice piece of dust in the screen. I'll have Apple replace it but otherwise seems fine

19. legioxi macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from the 5, no speed difference that I can discern. However I bought it for the touch sensor since my phone password is a long one and in hopes they open it up to developers (i.e. 1Password would be awesome with it).

I've also experienced only an occasional app crash but I believe that is more related to IOS7 than the 5S.

If you use AnyConnect, keep in mind that doesn't work at all with the 5S right now. Cisco is working on a 64bit compatible version.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This, stated nicely.

OP, if you go on any forum with the mindset that it is not a complete representation of the general population of owners then you'll figure out quickly many issues are isolated.

Not to say there isn't a widespread problem (think about the purple outlines around lights and Apple stating the phone shouldn't be pointed at the sun or directly a light), but I would say this is another solid product.

21. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not---but if you're not, you're right. They're easily---hands down the BEST option on the market right now. My 5s absolutely FLIES! And I upgraded from the '5' itself. App openings, App updates, iMovie and iPhoto manipulation and finalizing...gaming is extraordinary, and it seems as if the predictive text while tying (Auto Correct) is significantly faster. My battery seems to last about 10-15% longer. I'm really happy with it. I've also got a Galaxy Note I can't get rid of quick enough!

The 5s is a new standard in smart phone power, speed and UI fluidity. It's an awesome upgrade. That said...as others have mentioned, if you're NOT set for an upgrade and HAVE to come out of pocket to make the switch, wait it out with the standard '5'. Still a damn good phone that holds it own to this day with the 'new' Android flagship devices

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNtbOGTrsE

23. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I have seen less complains regarding the 5S on this forum than any other iPhone before it. People seem VERY HAPPY with it. In fact there are a lot less haters than usual, I think they have finally given in and admitted that Apple products are great and very popular :)

24. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

25. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

9 million iPhones were sold at launch, with at least 6 million being iPhone 5s(es).

At max, we have maybe 50 folks here complaining about issues with their phones.

That's way, way less than a 1% "failure" rate, and to be expected when you're producing these things on the sort of scale that Apple is.