Is the Iphone 5s Tmobile phone unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shankar2, Sep 22, 2013.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just placed an order for the 16gb iphone 5s (contract free as the apple store online says) with Tmobile sim.

My question is, would this work outside USA, ie is it unlocked?

How do I confirm if it's unlocked or not? Thanks in advance!

2. apple-5cs macrumors newbie

It may not work outside the U.S. the unlock status of the T-Mobile phone is unclear. But assumed locked if not purchased Sim Free from Apple.

3. DarkSel macrumors regular

It's unlocked.

----------

It's been confirmed to be unlocked. Go check the other T-Mobile unlock thread.

4. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

+1. Tmobile phones sold at APPLE RETAIL STOREs are unlocked. Not sure about the ones sold at Tmobile stores.

5. apple-5cs macrumors newbie

6. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone have the same phone so he/she can confirm whether this iphone 5s for tmobile is unlocked?

I paid full price for the iphone 5s (tmobile).

Thanks!

----------

BTW I purchased the phone from Apple Store online (apple.com)

7. cnotes2019 Suspended

There should be a website you can go to to input the IMEI number to see if its unlocked or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

8. DarkSel macrumors regular

From where?

Full priced iPhones sold at the Apple Store/Website will be factory unlocked.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

There's a long thread on this already.

It's been confirmed that if you buy it full price from Apple it is unlocked. If you buy it from a T-Mobile store it is locked to T-Mobile. I already bought and tested 2 of them myself with AT&T sim cards.

10. apple-5cs macrumors newbie

I wish someone could make a video with clear concise proof

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Any GSM iphones bought at the apple store at full price retail are unlocked att, tmobile, and verizon. I've been buying at full price every year, and starting from the 4s it was unlocked out of the box on launch day (full price att) and same process last year with the iphone 5.

I think macrumors need this as a sticky so people would know for every iphone release which would be every year.

12. DarkSel macrumors regular

Worst case scenario you return it to an Apple store for a full refund.

13. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the confirmation, can you please let me know if when you connected to Apple Itunes, it says "phone is unlocked" message popped up or not?

14. apple-5cs macrumors newbie

But why..

I wonder if even MacRumors knows the truth, I really don't think they do.

I don't think any journalists know either?

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I dont know why only apple would know. Cest la vie bro deal with it, and I am sure journalists wouldnt care less about an iphone locked or unlocked on launch day. They get their reviews unit and get to keep them I think.

16. mmberry1 macrumors member

mmberry1

I have a 32gb space grey tmobile version that I purchased from am apple store and it is unlocked. When I plugged it into itunes I got the your iphone is unlocked message.

17. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi thanks very much for the confirmation. I'd have to wait for my shipment and see for myself!

18. yrchern macrumors member

Actually it did not pop up for me because it is factory unlocked. I got one this morning, went to an AT&T store to request a new SIM card and the new SIM card worked atomically. The only thing I have to do is to call 611 and change my plan from data plan for iPhone 4s (which does not enable LTE) to data plan for LTE.

19. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

There is a troll that keeps joining the board claiming the T-Mobile versions from the Apple store are not unlocked. He keeps getting banned.

T-Mobile from the Apple online or Apple retail stores are most def unlocked.