Is the iPhone 6 really worth 812$

AndrewR23

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I paid 812$ for my iPhone 6. T mobile version.

It has a very loose home button that moves back and forth.

Black paint missing from camera lens.

A yellow tinted screen.

It's also my first time using a non jail broken iPhone since 2011. iOS is so locked down its insane.

My battery life on my 6 and pictures are extremely identical to my 5S.

Went to the apple store today to compare my 6 to displays and a lot were poorly made. Loose buttons. Poorly calibrated screens.

Haven't ever been so disappointed in any iPhone model before and I've had every iPhone to date. Used the 6 plus but was too big for me.

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
If it's not worth it to you then you should just stick with your 5S. To me it's worth it enough to keep it even though I can get much cheaper high end android devices.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
sounds like you got a bad egg I mean apple. Only thing loose on mine is silent switch and screen is nice. take it back if your not happy :)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

A yellow tinted screen.

It's also my first time using a non jail broken iPhone since 2011. iOS is so locked down its insane.

Went to the apple store today to compare my 6 to displays and a lot were poorly made. Loose buttons. Poorly calibrated screens.

Haven't ever been so disappointed in any iPhone model before and I've had every iPhone to date. Used the 6 plus but was too big for me.

Loose it then. If you can't decide then that's on you.

----------

sounds like you got a bad egg I mean apple. Only thing loose on mine is silent switch and screen is nice. take it back if your not happy :)

You actually believe this guy?

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands

A yellow tinted screen.

Sounds you had bad luck. My unit is absolutely flawless.
Take it back and exchange for a new one.

Edit: read you already returned it.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I don't believe it. NONE are flawless.
There are no imperfections in the screen (I use Spotter to check for dead pixels and bleeding), I don't have a 'yellow' display, there are no dents or scratches on the back or on the display. There are no loose buttons or rocker switches, there is no paint chipping off. I got a good unit, and I dare to say most of them out there are like this too.

Want me to nitpick? The phone wobbles when I lay it flat face down on a table. It did this right out of the box. And you know what? I don't care it does this. The phone looks straight to the eye and it works like a dream. It is flawless to me.

Edit: checked it on three tables in the house. It only wobbles on one of them. So yeah, there may be nothing to complain about after all.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
OP, sounds like you have issues with yours, I'd return it, for a refund and/or exchange it.

So far on my IP6+ I've not noticed any defects or issues (knocks on wood)

lyceumHQ

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Just curious, what were the jailbreak tweaks you would use to unlock iOS?
I don't know about the OP but I've always done the same. Kept the iPhone I have until the jailbreak is released. Then upgrade.

For me it's simple things like folder in folder, no app limit in folders. Being able to have an invisible dock. Being able to hide apps I don't need and will never use but apple won't let me remove (or stocks, compas etc). Removing icon/folder names (I know what it's called. I downloaded it/created it. They just add clutter to the home screen). Same with page dots. I know how many pages I set up. Themes. Because I dislike the iOS 7 design. Having the date in the status bar. Quick reply to SMS. I know iOS 8 has this but it's still got a long way to go before it's anywhere near as good as biteSMS. Being able to have the controls I want in control centre. Not the controls Apple tell me I need (I have airplane mode, respring, 3G switch etc). I shrink the icons to 90% simple because I prefer that size. I don't have to stupid ios7 signal dots.

Here's a shot of my home screen. 80% of it is down to jailbreak tweaks.

I know it might seem stupid because I could easily get android and not have to worry about jail breaking but IMHO you can't better a jail broken iPhone. All the stability of iOS and the slickness but with customisation. It is for me personally the best phone available when jailbroken. I don't care what spec sheets say. My jailbroken iPhone beats every other phone I've ever seen (in my opinion anyway).

Last edited:

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011

A yellow tinted screen.

If I had paint on my camera lens, I'd be upset also. Pictures are so close to your 5S... you should check for black paint on its lens as well.

Maybe you should look into why you keep getting black paint on your lenses.

Last edited:

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I would try exchanging it as it sounds like you just got one with problems out of the box. It happens every now and then. Not all of the 6 and 6 Plus are bad. My iPhone 6 is perfect so far. The screen looks great and all buttons and switches feel solid.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Yes. It is.

Since my opinion matters more than yours (or you would have just returned it by now given how much you hate it...) I say return it

Then send me $40. No reason. Just want to see how far you'll go not being able to decide on your own :p

If you don't like something, why would it matter if everyone else does? Go get your 5S. Sounds like that was the perfect phone for you

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
It would appear over 20 million people think so, so far. Course for those that don't think so, there are plenty of other choices. Including keeping what you currently have. Nice to have a choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.