Is the iPhone a substandard product?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benfilan, Apr 25, 2008.

1. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

When the iPhone was announced, I got really excited. like, pathetic, scarily obsessed fanboy excited. so much so that I couldn't wait for it to be released in the UK and I bought one from america, unlocked it, and enjoyed the novelty and jealous glances. when that iPhone died (from an unlocking illness) I bought a legitimate one, and I loved it. I still do kinda love it, my third one. Althought I am kinda sickened at how many faults its had. and from reading forums, and reports from friends, practically every iPhone I hear about has had some sort of fault, serious enough for it to be returned and replaced.

So my question: Is the iPhone a substandard product?

I feel it has been 'rushed' into production, to the detriment of build quality. If apple was hoping to win over non-mac fans to the apple cause, I feel the iPhone may have done more harm than good. (in addition, ALL of my non-iPhone loving friends have cited no MMS, bad camera and lack of bluetooth connectivity as main reasons not to get an iPhone)

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

4. Surely Guest

Surely

No.

My iPhone is perfect.

What faults?

Information in forums are skewed because people generally come to forums to b*tch about stuff. Do you think every iPhone user writes about their iPhone in forums? Most iPhone owners are in the satisfied, quiet majority.

5. newyorksole macrumors 68030

There used to be problems like the phone freezing up and not unlocking when I slid it, but now it is fine.

They sure did win me over because now I want an iMac or MB to accompany my iPhone just like when I has a zune I wanted vista to complete my 360/zune/vista bundle.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Had mine since it was first released. Not a single prob.
    I picked up AppleCare so I get 2 years of coverage but haven't used it yet, knock on wood......

7. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

No, it's very well made. If you knew what you were buying then you should be happy with it, if you wanted a bigger feature set then it was never going to please you.

Simple really.

8. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

ok, i do love my iphone, but i've never had another phone thats has so many faults. I'm currently on my third. My friend Brian is on his fourth. Another friend who i persuaded to get an iPhone on the basis of how amazing it is had to get a replacement after his THIRD week. It really isn't good enough. This is supposed to be a premium device. If there's a few random hiccups, that fair enough, but this amount of eff ups is a bit ridiculous, non?

9. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

I didnt say I had any problems with it feature wise, I said that a LOT of my friends that are very anti-iPhone had raised those points as reasons to not get an iPhone. the same argument I come up against is "well the N95 is FREE and has X, X, X, X, X, that the iphone doesn't have"

10. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

If it's any consolation I own an N95 and haven't had any problems but a couple of friends did and one is on his fourth unit so it's not just Apple.

11. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

I read ALOT of forums, and yes, I know people come with problems, but I've seen a lot of complaints.

Issues? well, my first iPhone blanked out completely every five hours. no sound (Rings), no screen, although I could hear people speaking when they called.
    my second iPhone OTB had issues with freezing - it froze during sync, when i tried to make a call, when i tried to take a photo.
    my third iPhone, the one I'm using at the minute, no longer rings when people call, and the earpiece no longer works. I've only had this a month.

12. PACMAC macrumors regular

PACMAC

mines work fine..:)
    did you try to restore it first and see if that worked out before you returned it?

13. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Mine has had no issues.

Apart from the fact I keep dropping it, but then that's just me and mobile phones.

It's by far the best mobile phone I've ever owned (and I've had more than my fair share of them), and I firmly believe that the only phone I'll ever replace it with is the next iPhone. :)

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I haven't seen a lot of complaints. I've seen the amount of complaints that you would expect in a forum that is partially dedicated to complaining about the iPhone. I know tons of people that are perfectly happy with the performance of their 4, 8, and 16 GB iPhones.

Well.... your first iPhone doesn't count since you stated that you unlocked it. That voids all complaints- unlock at your own risk.

Was the second one unlocked or jail-broken?

How about the one you are using now?

It sounds like (if #2 and #3 aren't unlocked or jail-broken) you've had some bad luck. I'm not going to sit here and defend Apple like some ridiculous fanboy, but not every single individual product that a company makes can work perfectly, especially when that company is producing millions of that product. There are apt to be dysfunctional products- pobody's nerfect. I'd suggest trading iPhone #3 in for a new one (since it has only been a month) and hope that the 4th time's a charm.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

also alot of people drop them and abuse them alot. Then they wonder why it starts acting up. Its not unbreakable just like any cell.

16. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I've never had any problems with my iPhone. I got one replaced because I thought the speaker wasn't loud enough, but no real problems. My dad has had his since launch with no problems. One of my friends has had his since launch with no problems. Another got his in October, and it still works fine.

So based on my anecdotal evidence, there's not a single problem with the iPhone.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Zero problems here. Sorry you've had bad luck, but don't assume your experience is typical.

18. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Agreed. The huge majority of iPhone problem posts I've read come from folks who admit to unlocking their iPhone. Like you said, unlock at your own risk. Add my iphone to the list of those that have no problems.

19. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Had mine since day 2 (sadly wasn't ready to buy day one, oh well). Love it. Have had absolutely no problems with it. Works better than it did day 1 (2 technicaly:p) and i cant wait to see what they bring out next.

20. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

"practically every iPhone I hear about has had some sort of fault"

huh? you need to get out more

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No, but people will issues are more likely to talk about them, hence why you see more problem iPhone threads, then flawless ones

Think about it

"Hey, my iPhone doesn't work, I need to go get it fixed"
    "Thats too bad, whats wrong, how did it happen etc?"
    is more interesting then

"Hey, my phone does what I bought it for!"
    "I'd hope so!"

22. thisonechance macrumors regular

This sounds like the same headphone jack issue that others are having. If you try adjust the volume on the side, does it say "headphones"? If so, try inserting and removing the headphones repeatedly. It worked for me.

Sometimes it thinks headphones are connected when they are not.

23. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Your life is a substandard product.

Just kidding, iPhones have great build quality, and they feel incredibly sturdy.

*re-reading post* You have to be kidding, all of your non-iPhone loving friends point out the minor flaws that it has, REALLY?

MMS is something that should be there, but as my bad excuse, it can and probably will be added with 2.0. The camera isn't bad, unless your a professional photographer, but there really aren't that many phones on the US market with much better cameras. Absence of bluetooth can be a pain, but is it really that necessary (also can be added through firmware, I think)?

However, if you do choose to stick by its faults, it has soooo many more pluses than minuses. It is a truly revolutionary and great product.

IMO ~Austin~ All the best and replies will be replied to.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The only issue I have had in a month (with a refurb) has been the occasional crash when using Safari. That's not completely unexpected, although it was kind of lame when it crashed on the Apple Web Apps page.

I also think it's got a bit of a bad rep. Some people expect the iPhone to cure cancer AND AIDS. It won't. Look at it as an 8GB or 16GB widescreen iPod with all the Internet connectivity things, a phone inside, and a PDA. When I see people complain about it and say how this and that phone has something else (3G, video camera, whatever), I love to return and ask them "OK. Does your phone have a video iPod in it?"

25. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

question

considering the blue tooth braught up in the main post.
    is it possible to send songs from your ipod in the iphone from your iphone via bluetooth? (note i don't have an iphone as of yet) and photos ect?