Is the iPhone as good as the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Altimax98, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

Let me start this out by saying I was a die hard android lover. I was a fanboy since the winmo6 days and despised Apple from the start of my tech days.

You can skip to the end if you want lol....

I have had 2 Droid1's, Droid Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nook Color w/4.0, and two HP Touchpads.

I started to get annoyed with Android when I was using the tablets. They felt unpolished and for lack of a better term "missing direction". I feel after using a Lumia 900 for a bit and testing the new Winmo, that Android is at a disadvantage and almost like a teen in its early adulthood. It is rambunctious, leaping ahead sometimes without looking and gaining subscribers every day at astronomical rates. It is doing all of this without performing the most important task, that of creating its identity in the long term evolution of mobile. What I mean is that Microsoft has created a system that is its own. I have never seen a OS that has such a level of integration to friends, family and anything else we need, and I think Microsoft will continue to expand in that direction. Apple has dominated the app centric OS in creating an excellent shell in which apps dominate the OS experience. What is Android? It is a highly customizable OS that tries to be app centric and integrated but falls flat in both aspects. Most apps lack any form of uniformity or polish and even google apps don't conform to its own standards. Most people don't even know that the the 'people' app integrates social media sites similar to Windows but no where near as good.

So I bought a iPad. I didn't tell my family because I knew the snickering that would go on, after all the bad lip I have Apple. But the iPad is the best piece of tech I have ever used and I'm not afraid to walk around with it. The fluidity in the Apps, gestures, controls and overall look at feel of the OS never ceases to amaze me. I have fallen in love with it, and have seriously doubted my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. What was once my favorite tech piece is now a source of annoyance on the lack of integration and lack of direction in the feel of the OS. I still love android but feel it is not as evolved as I need it to be. I'm not the kid who used to mess around with the look and feel non-stop. I'm married, own a house and have a baby due any day now, and I feel I've grown past how Android is built.

So after all that is said and done, I've been thinking of making a trade for a iPhone 4S. I am off contract right now, and may go back on for a iPhone 5 in November. But I want to try it out first. Is the iPhone as good as the iPad is. Is it as fluid with gestures, animations and just the general feel? Are apps as well laid out and usefull?

Thanks for all the help :)

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i have both and yes they are basically the same exact thing.

3. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted

It's very much the same. The screen is naturally smaller and some apps for iPad are not compatable with iPhone but it is just as fluid and runs the same OS.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The iPhone is as good as the iPad as far as gestures and animations. It is awkward to use sometimes because of how small it is. I don't like to zoom in, so I'm often holding the iPhone REALLY close to my face. I wish that my phone had the same DPI in an Android screen size.

5. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Yes, if you love the iPad you'll love the iPhone for all the same reasons. The iPhone to iPad integration is superb, easy since many of the apps available on the iPad are on the iPhone as well. In fact, you may find some iPhone exclusive apps, that aren't on the iPad yet, that you'll fall in love with :)

If you take photos, you'll love the iPhone camera (better than any Android camera), and how it seamlessly pushes all your photos to the iPad automatically. It really is a great experience, if you love the iPad, you owe it to yourself to try it.

6. Altimax98 thread starter macrumors 6502

Altimax98

I very rarely use the browser on my phone. I'll use it while shopping and searching amazon and stuff, but otherwise, if there's an app, I'm using it. I love my screen size on my Nexus, 4.65 is a sweet spot for me. But on the flip side I get no signal (Samsung FTL), the screen (pentile/S-Amoled) leave a lot to be desired in color reproduction... Especially concerning whites, the battery lasts half a day, no IMessage'like functionality, and to say the camera is shoddy is a compliment.

Has anyone else made the switch from a newer high end (not a cheapy) Android phone to a iPhone?

7. boomboom2 macrumors regular

Eh, I prefer Android phones for the big screens, but I love my ipad :)

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple builds all products to the same standard.

9. tl01 macrumors 65816

I tried to move to the note from an iPhone 4s but I couldn't stand it. I thought I was ready for a change until the next iphone came out but I was wrong. The temporary time with the note made me appreciate my iPhone 4s even more than I had before.

10. Lioncrazz macrumors member

Yes! The iPhone is amazing. I use my iPhone for so many things and it makes my life so much easier. I sometimes don't know what I would do without it.

11. aleni macrumors 68020

people who love android are the ones who never tried the iOS.

all my android lovers friends switch to iOS after i explained the fluidity and smoothness of iOS.

i have tried some androids, galaxy nexus, galaxy s, galaxy s2, galaxy note and razr. while the screen's size is nice, the android itself is not polished like the iOS.

what i love about android device is only there's so many different choice of screen size, where in iOS devices, you either go big or go small.

wish iPhone has 4.3" and iPad has 7" screen.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

13. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

There is nothing you should be embarrassed about.
    The iPad is downright the best , most balanced and designed tablet right in the market. And I mean in the market of tablets. The android tablets just don't make sense. I mean , why would I pay for something that I can already experience on my android phone ? The iPad, no matter how similar the hardware is to the iPhone will still have distinctive features.
    If you're enjoying the iPad , I'll say you would enjoy the iPhone.

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

You're going to struggle with the screen size, coming from one of the large-screen-format Android smartphones. But I think that's going to be your only issue, so it just depends how much it'll bother you. I, personally, think the iPhone has the perfect screen size for a phone, but it looks like we'll be getting something at least slightly bigger in the iPhone 5.

I'd try and wait for the iPhone 5 if I were you; give yourself the best possible chance of loving the iPhone in the same way that you love the iPad. :)

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

The iPad and iPhone are just as fluid as eachother. There are less gestures on the iPhone but you wont miss them.

You will also love the way the 2 devices sync with each other.

16. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

OP, I am sorry it's a very very slippery slope and you just took your first step. I was a long time Android user and bought an iPad 2 when it was released. I loved it but dealing with two app stores was annoying, i.e. having to buy Tapatalk twice among others. What that did show me was how superior apps were on iOS compared to Android. I then bought a 4S when it was released, love it as well. I have now just taken delivery of my first Macbook Pro to replace my Windows unit. I am now full in the Apple ecosystem and couldn't be happier. The only Microsoft for me is my HTPC but no one else has an alternative and it does work absolutely wonderfully.

17. Sunsean macrumors 6502

I switched from a Galaxy S2 to iPhone 4s a few months ago after a few years with Android. The smaller screen didn't really bother me, believe it or not, nor really take any period of adjustment. I loved the iPhone experience from the get go. Actually got a new iPad, but then decided to return the pad and just switch from Android to iPhone, as I wanted a mobile ios device to go along with my macs at home...really, the iPad is just a larger screened iPhone without the phone app. There's not much, if anything, that you can do on one that you can't do on the other, it's just that the larger screen of the pad makes certain things more efficient and fluid.

18. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I got the 4s after many years of being a Crackberry user. I got the New iPad on release day. I use them both everyday. My 4s never leaves my side and my iPad is always within reach at home. Like some of the other posters have said, you'll love the apps on iOS much better than Android.

19. Altimax98 thread starter macrumors 6502

Altimax98

I started with a Hackintosh project after testing windows 8. Don't have the funds to support a Mac yet lol....

I know I would love the phone, but the screen size is the only thing that really holds me back... Maybe I'll play with My bosses 4S to test it out a bit. Thanks guys!

Dealing with dual app stores does suck, I grab my phone expecting Tapatalk to be there too, but I am too cheap to buy it lol.

20. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

One is bigger, the other can make calls - both are great. My 4S is very fluid and any issues I have with stutters is because of jb, and even those are rare. I've used by friend's HTC One X and that things stuttered and lagged more in the 10 mins I used it than my iPhone over the last few months. Not sure how Android users put up with it :confused:

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I have both and they play very well together. And jailbreaking both is even better. The iPhone is basically the same with just with a smaller screen and phone. The smaller screen doesn't bother me cause of the great resolution. If you really like the iPad that much then you can't go wrong with an iPhone.

22. Merkie macrumors 68020

The iPad is way faster and smoother than the iPhone 4. Don't know how it compares to the 4S though.

23. jdlindsey7 macrumors regular

I agree both the iPad and iPhone are great devices. In regards to simplicity and effectiveness, they lead the way in their perspective markets. I love my iPad and use it extensively, other than writing papers. My one concern, and what keeps me from using the iPhone, is the screen size. It's a matter of preference, but I prefer the HTC One X. In terms of functionality and performance the iPhone is as good as the iPad. However, I believe the iPad stands alone in its market whereas the iPhone is a notch behind its market in my opinion.

24. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It's NOT exactly the same as the iPhone and you will see that when you start using it. At first blush, it looks like a giant iPhone or iPod Touch, but let's not forget the major differences--screen size and battery life. Smartphones and tablets, no matter what brand/OS you use are just slabs of glass, plastic, and metal. The only real difference between phones and tablets is screen size and battery life. And in those areas, Apple and all the third party developers have done a good job of setting the iPad apart. For example:

iLife/iWork--there is not one of these applications I would rather use on an iPhone than an iPad. iPhoto and iMovie are especially brilliant.

Reading--I do quite a bit of reading, and believe it or not, I used to read a lot on my iPhone before I got the iPad. I use iBooks and Kindle and also have 4 different subscriptions in Newsstand (a TERRIFIC iOS feature IMHO). While a backlit display isn't ideal for reading for some people, I have no trouble with it at all, and I LOVE the way magazines have tailored their formats for the iPad. Retina display model made it all that much sweeter. And as a "P.S.", believe it or not, Newsstand has become a feature that I don't think I could ever do without. It's replaced that unsightly stack of old magazines laying around every room in my house.

Neflix/HuluPlus/iTunes video content--we are cord cutters and I watch a lot of video in iOS. I would much rather do that on my iPad, for obvious reasons. This is another thing I used to do on my iPhone, but have been relegated to the iPad instead. I barely watch any video on my iPhone anymore other than the occasional YouTube check here and there.

Web browsing--No need to even explain here.

I have only been an "Apple guy" for about 2 years now after being a hater for a long time, but the one thing I can't seem to get used to is all the Apple hate on the internet. Everyone is always gunning for Apple or going out of their way to insult the company. If you look at the internet too much, you start believing that the next big thing to knock Apple out forever is right around the corner. Of course, that's only natural--everyone is always gunning for the top. But I have come to love this platform so much--I want to see it continue to thrive for a long time.