Is the iphone capable of WiFi Display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BearerOBadNews, Jan 24, 2012.

1. BearerOBadNews macrumors member

I am wondering if the A5 chip in the 4S is capable of WiFi Display. I know as of right now the only curreny gen chip that I have heard mentioned thus far as being compatible is the OMAP4 line. They say not even the Tegra 3 is capable. So I'm wondering if our A5 is capable and if we will see and update to enable this functionality. Also before anyone says it yes I know you can get Apple TV and use airplay but that is not the same as having compatibility with an industry standard (meaning you'd be able to use it with any wifi display capable device). So does anyone know if we have this capability and if it will be coming?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not currently and doubtful if it will happen.

3. BearerOBadNews thread starter macrumors member

Are you saying the a5 isn't capable of it or are you just saying you doubt they will give us an update that enables wifi display?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You might as well wish AppleTV would support DLNA. I can't ever see Apple supporting WiFi display especially since they offer a similar technology now.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure about chip capability, but the latter, doubtful if they'd open this up even if the chip allows it. Think about what they've done to the BT stack, and also, unless ATV supports it, they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot; Apple generally doesn't like supporting features that they don't use themselves.

6. BearerOBadNews thread starter macrumors member

lol I do wish the iphone had dlna. But yeah though it is somewhat similar it definitely isn't quite the same as it requires specific hardware for it to function. That's why I like the idea of industry standards, then all you need are compatible devices.

Good point. They gimped the hell out of the bluetooth. You're probably right, we probably won't ever see it even if the A5 turns out to be capable of it anyway. They'll probably try to keep pushing airplay instead of conforming to industry standards... *sigh*