Is the iPhone GPS really incapable of turn by turn directions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ert3, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I did a speed test whereI saw it maintained my exact location while under 50 mph.

at 55 it got a bit choppy (1-2 second delay)

at 60 the delay grew to 2-3 seconds

and at 70 the chopyness was 3-4 seconds.

It basically increases by tens from there.

The question is is this really sub standard for turn by turn directions?

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

the software is incapable of turn by turn though it looks like several satnav devs are looking into it) agps should be better than any normal gps as it knows where to look for the satellite.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Bear in mind, that at faster speeds, you'll have the map zoomed out a bit more anyway, you're more likely to be on a larger road, and there to be not too many confusing turn offs right next to each other.

Google Maps gives you written turn by turn directions.
    Put a route into Maps, then put the iPhone onto GPS mode. Works a treat. Road tested it today - works fine, and if you have a decent mount for it, it'll be easy to use. Just check the major turnoffs/route with the turn by turn info before you set out, then set the zoom at a manageable level.

The GPS keeps up pretty darn well when I had it on, whilst going through country lanes, and motorways.

4. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

No, it's not incapable. It's clear from even a few minutes of use that it'd be perfectly fine, we're just waiting on the software.

5. jackjason macrumors regular

if you make a turn at a high speed like what you did..
    you are going to have a car accident..(40% the chace)

6. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

It would run very smooth if the maps and software were loaded on the iphones storage.

It just cant update the maps quick enough due to the internet not being fast enough.

7. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

From what I have read from other sources. The phone has one of the advance gps chips on the market for cellphones, it suppose to works better in urban areas and is the only phone to carry assistant gps. It just maybe google's maps that the problem, telenav may not have this problem but only the future can tell.

8. 645ci macrumors member

possibly the most ridiculous post today