Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I am thinking about going to the store to pick up an iphone 5 tomorrow. What chance would you say I have of actually getting one?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I think that would largely depend on your local apple store. We have three in my area and I was at the busiest one just after 7PM today and there were still people in line. It was a short line, but it was there. That to me suggests they had a LOT in stock for them to still be selling it for nearly a full 12 hours. The store closes at 8 so the short line was probably cut off to accommodate closing time and not because lack of stock. It seems that this iPhone has been the best stocked one yet.

Max Archer

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
It took me all day to find one in my area, and I had to settle for spending the extra cash on a 64GB, which I hadn't really wanted to do, to get one.

Last edited:

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
I walked in at 5 pm in San deigo, they had one white 16gb which I wanted for sprint and walked out 10 minutes later with the phone. There was a line of 5 people but in the minute I asked what stock they had all people in line were in the store. I'd go call up and ask.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
No sure now but I called earlier today and they said they had plenty 16gb models. No 32 and 64 GB's for AT&T. Not sure about the other carriers. Same for Kahala Store, plenty 16's.

Thanks. Think I'll go exchange my 64GB to a 16GB. Realize I don't need the space at all. Is it possible to do an exchange in store if they have the model in stock?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
LOL.. settle? You got the best model.

"Settle" suggests you had to accept less than the best.

Settle could also mean he had to settle for paying more than he really wanted for a phone that is more than he needed.

Max Archer

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
LOL.. settle? You got the best model.

"Settle" suggests you had to accept less than the best.

Oh lol, I got distracted in the middle of my post and didn't finish I guess.

What I meant is that I had to settle for spending more money than I wanted to, since I would've been fine with a 16 or 32, but all I could find was a 64. I needed to replace my old phone by this Wednesday because I'm going out of town on business, so I had to get what I could get even though I didn't really need the best model.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Grand Central in NYC was sold out of AT&T models when they opened today at 10:00. I think they had some Verizon and Sprint models left.

I suspect that if you arrive at just the right time, a new shipment will arrive today and you might get an AT&T version if you want it. They had a separate line set up with two reps in front who were asking you if you wanted to buy it on contract or outright so apparently they are doing outright sales there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.