Is the lack of a GRE requirement indicative of a low level masters program?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Herr Katze, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Herr Katze macrumors newbie

I am a senior history major who is graduating in December and I am just now looking at master's programs. I want to pursue an MA in East Asian Studies or history (I want to focus on post-war Japan with emphasis on the bubble period) and I was looking at Cal State schools. My professor recommended Long Beach State, San Jose State, and Sacramento State along with UC Riverside and UC Irvine, but I noticed that the Cal States do not require GRE scores. Does that mean that they aren't quality programs? I'm leaning towards CSUs because I am looking to save money and I have read that funding is hard to come by for master's students as opposed to doctoral students.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

GRE is mainly Math and English at a entry level college level. Think of it as the SATs of Master programs. Call in and ask why they don't, they might have some other testing form.

3. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Nah, I wouldn't worry about the lack of a GRE requirement, as long as the institution itself is accredited and has a good reputation.

I have an MS from Johns Hopkins, and I did not have to take the GRE to get into the program.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It could also be a function of your major. When I went to graduate school for business, my university required that I take the GMAT, not the GRE.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I would concern myself more with the faculty and the program rather than whether a standardized test is required.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

Northwestern University (IL) doesn't require the GRE - just one fairly elite school I can think of when I was looking at Ph.D (no Masters in that field) programs.

The GRE has never been a standard like the ACT/SAT and isn't held to the same level as the MCAT, GMAT, or LSAT.