Is the later shipping date any indication of an upcoming update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adergaard, May 29, 2017.

1. Adergaard macrumors newbie

Having looked at buying just the standard 15 inch higher end option with the 2.7 Ghz, 512GB SSD, and the 455 graphics processor, it has pretty much said - during the last week or so since I've been looking - shipping within the next couple of days. In stock.

Today when I checked, it says it will ship somewhere between June 7 - 9. That's a major jump in time, especially considering that I'm not ordering a special configuration or anything like that. This version is usually in stock.

So, here's the $2499 question: would you press buy now (assuming that you were in the market for a new MBP 15 of course), hoping that you'd get the new kaby lake configuration or should I wait until June 5 WWDC announcement to be absolutely sure?

2. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Wait, wait, wait... Apple may decide to keep the 2016's around but at a lower price.. If you want the new machine (assuming one is announced) then I'd wait..

3. Nave29 macrumors member

No matter what wait, it's only a week longer. Maybe I misunderstood but if you buy now there's 0 chance they'll ship you an updated model.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The later shipping dates and lack of stock in stores is a sure sign of two things:
    • New models are coming.
    • The current ones will not be staying around at a lower price (indeed, they almost never do for spec-bump updates. Refurbished models will still be available, however.)
    As for ordering now and them shipping you an updated model - it has happened, but usually only when ordering very very close to the announcement. Apple contacts you personally before shipping in any case.

5. HerbertDerb macrumors regular

HerbertDerb

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, hide your money! (Until WDDC atleast)

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Interestingly this only seems to be the case for the 15" models.

13" ones and 15" old body style ones can be delivered this week...

Bu all the newest 15's are June 5th or later..
    Both colors, all configs - Nothing before next Monday..

Something is up there - Great catch OP

(Oh man I would love a non-TouchBar 15" config...)

7. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The story varies around the world - two of the three 13" models are out of stock in the UK.

(There appears to be no constraint at all on the 12" MacBook. I would not be surprised if that went without an update again despite one being overdue.)

8. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

i just purchased one too about a week ago now. my imac took a dump and i have bills i only pay online so i had to get a replacement. ordered: late may 22nd. arriving: june 2-7.
    also, wish i would have checked that new stuff was coming out prior to placing my order but macrumors said we're mid cycle so it was safe to order so i pulled the trigger and ordered.