Is the latest iPod Touch 32gb possible to jailbreak or not?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by DaMob, Mar 14, 2010.

1. DaMob macrumors member

Hi!

I've searched the internet, this forum, other forums, etc... but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer to my question.

Last monday I bought a 3th gen iPod Touch with 32gb and 3.1.3 firmware and now I want to jailbreak it. But some sites say it isn't possible, whilst others say it is.

So my question to you is obvious, is it possible or not? I tried downgrading it too 3.1.2 from the 2nd gen, but this didn't work. So did I just solve my question, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

2. whyapplewhy macrumors member

I have a 3rd gen 32gp ipod touch. I downloaded 3.1.2 software, installed it into my touch, used blackra1n, and it worked like a charm. So I would say yes.

3. DaMob thread starter macrumors member

Would you be so kind to give me the link from where you downloaded the 3.1.2 firmware? I think I always download a wrong version because everytime I get an error when trying to install it.

Thanks!

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

You won't be able to downgrade to a lower firmware with a 3rd gen touch. Apple requires all firmware installations to be signed by them, and they will no longer allow you to install 3.1.2. Unless your iPod had been previously jailbroken, you're out of luck :(

5. DaMob thread starter macrumors member

Damn that sucks.

Are there any signs hackers will be able to find a solution to this in the near future?

Thanks for your answer!

6. DaMob thread starter macrumors member

I've read that link, but the second post states that if the iPod has never been jailbroken before, it won't work.

So I'm in bad luck.
    I bought the device with 3.1.2 on it, but when I first connected it too iTunes it said that there was an update available, so I immediately, without thinking about jailbreaking, clicked the button.

I'll just have to wait and hope that with the next firmware, I'll be able to do it.

Thanks!

7. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Yeah, Apple is becoming a real pain about jailbreaking. If it makes you feel any better, even though you bought it with 3.1.2 on it, they stopped allowing 3.1.2 installs after 3.1.3 was released. So you could have jailbroken your iPod when you first got it, but you would have never been able to restore back to 3.1.2 again, which would have been trouble the first time anything went wrong.

8. DaMob thread starter macrumors member

Haha it does! Thanks!

Lets just hope for the future

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Couldn't you just put it in dfu mode...then use the 3.1.2 firmware during the restore process?

10. DaMob thread starter macrumors member

No different errors pop up

Like "this firmware isn't eligble"

11. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

That still won't bypass Apple's requirement that the 3.1.2 restore be signed by a remote server. Your only choices for this signing are Apple's servers (which won't sign 3.1.2 anymore) or Saurik's server (which requires you to have pointed your iPod his way during the time when Apple was signing 3.1.2).

12. Kram Yelooc macrumors newbie

It is possible for downloading 3.1.2
    http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
    and go to iPod touch 3G 3.1.2 and download it then
    go to itunes and have your ipod touch hooked in and
    if your on a mac hold tab and click on restore
    if your on windows hold shift and click or restore
    then find your 3.1.2 firmware wherever you saved it to and then let it do its thing.

Contact me if you have any problems

also make sure to backup your ipod before doing this

13. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Please read the thread before posting. This is what the OP tried in the first place, and you'll notice it didn't work. Once again (as I said in my post, and others have said all over the board), Apple requires that firmware installs be signed, which they will no longer do for 3.1.2. The only way around this is to spoof their server, but you can't do that unless you cached your SHSH (a DEVICE-SPECIFIC blob) before 3.1.3 was released. Otherwise, you're stuck.

OP, all you'll get if you try this (which it sounds like you already did) is the error that "The device is not eligible for the requested build". You're perfectly welcome to try it—it won't hurt anything—but don't let this guy get your hopes up.

14. ammowasted macrumors newbie

What he said. I'm in the same position as you OP, and I've pretty much accepted that I'm boned until they release a JB for 3.1.3, or the next firmware update and they crack that.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I would not count on a future JB.

16. nupe25 macrumors newbie

spirit sucks!

i had jailbreaked my 32 gb touch with blackra1n. then because i heard spirit requires no more tethering, i decided to try it.

now it is stuck in restore mode and i can't even use blackra1n to get it back again. if i reset it in iTunes, will i be able to jailbreak it again?

17. mrhappyface2010 macrumors newbie

mrhappyface2010

Spirit can jailbreak any iDevice on any 3.x firmware and if it stuffs up just go DFU and then restore and try again and don't unplug until device starts up fully!