Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simevidas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2015
On their new TestTube page, YouTube writes:

And if playing 4K videos at 3840x2160 isn't enough to melt your device, try doing it at 60 frames per second.

Is the latest MacBook Pro 13 able to play such videos smoothly? Please note that running videos on YouTube in a browser is more taxing than running them in a program like VLC.

If someone has the latest 2015 model connected to a 4K screen via DisplayPort, could you please test one of the 4K @ 60 FPS videos on YouTube (the video playlist is in the link above).

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
On their new TestTube page, YouTube writes:
Is the latest MacBook Pro 13 able to play such videos smoothly? Please note that running videos on YouTube in a browser is more taxing than running them in a program like VLC.

If someone has the latest 2015 model connected to a 4K screen via DisplayPort, could you please test one of the 4K @ 60 FPS videos on YouTube (the video playlist is in the link above).

Is the YouTube 4K@60Hz really 60Hz or some kind of interlaced streaming? I presume that a consistent 4K@60Hz streaming would need a 50-100Mbps broadband plan, or at least something capable of consistently streaming at 30Mbps.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It is full 60fps noninterlaced, and a quick test shows it appears to be about 30-50 Mbps. Unfortunately, the machine I'm testing on is too slow to show it at full framerate. (My work PC, slower than the latest MBP.)

Note that the latest YouTube player should use about the same CPU as an offline player. They don't use Flash any more.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
On a 4Ghz Retina iMac connected to an external 4K monitor with the video full screen on a 120 Mbps internet connection, it takes 70% CPU but plays smoothly without stuttering. There is no hardware acceleration of VP9 yet.

Translation: no portable Mac can handle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.