Is the latest presumed iPhone 6 leak real or fake?

Is the latest presumed iPhone 6 leak real or not?

• It's the real thing

Votes: 75 61.5%
  • It's a hoax

Votes: 47 38.5%

• Total voters

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I think the question is whether the phone in those videos is actually real or not, not whether that's what the iPhone 6 will look like. Now I think the phone in that video isn't the real deal because of the length of the minute hand on the clock icon.
So vote no, it's a hoax.

Voting "it's the real thing" means it's 100% legit, 100% apple, running real apple software, the exact same device that will be unveiled tuesday

Voting "it's a hoax" means it's a fake device, not an actual iPhone, some knock off chinese copy or whatever. It's not running real iOS so therefore it's not an iphone

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
So vote no, it's a hoax.

Voting "it's the real thing" means it's 100% legit, 100% apple, running real apple software, the exact same device that will be unveiled tuesday

Voting "it's a hoax" means it's a fake device, not an actual iPhone, some knock off chinese copy or whatever. It's not running real iOS so therefore it's not an iphone
What about a middle ground? It could be the real hardware (or at least shell), but it might not boot and the screen is simulated. That seems really likely for a lot of the leaks.

Charadis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
It's either real, or I'd like to buy my first Android device so I can put whatever iOS skin on it that works so smoothly like that.

So I vote real. Sent from my iPad.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
So the question really is do you believe:

A: that someone manufactured an all new, fully detailed replica of an iPhone 6 with a working 4.7 inch screen, side power button, and fully-functional touch-ID, and loaded it with a fake custom build of iOS 8 with never before seen icons and features so he could get a little internet celebrity only 3 days before the actual phone is unveiled (thus proving him a fraud).

Or...

B: that just as the phone is beginning to be shipped all over the world, someone in China managed to get their hands on one.

Umm... I'm going with option B.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
It's real. If you see the video, the animations are 100% spot on.

It's simply not possible to make the animations that perfect on a clone/android. Even good copies that looks like an Apple product fails with the animations.

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm going to go with real, though it may not 100% be the finished product - this could be a beta version, or have been rejected for some reason.

There are some GUI inconsistencies with the current iOS 8 beta, but they might be tweaks Apple made.

The video doesn't actually show any new features however - we've known about all of this for a long time, so it's not completely inconceivable that it's a fake. Unlikely though, yes.

I think if Apple releases it with a new Passbook icon on Tuesday, this was definitely real.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I wouldn't put it past Apple to release some off the wall prototypes in the wild to create a feeding frenzy

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
So the 4.7 iPhone 6 seems evolutionary. Thinner for sure, but disappointing screen resolution compared with current and upcoming flagship Android phones. The 5.5" should be much more interesting mostly because of the hi res screen.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
So the 4.7 iPhone 6 seems evolutionary. Thinner for sure, but disappointing screen resolution compared with current and upcoming flagship Android phones. The 5.5" should be much more interesting mostly because of the hi res screen.
This if true is going to suck. Hell charge a premium if you have to I don't care but don't leave out a better display or sapphire panel just because we don't care for the hideous HUGE model.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Having seen the following video it sure looks convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQopSbASO40

Didn't understand a word but he didn't click passbook did he? So it's a little sketchy, maybe unfinished product he somehow got hold of.
Neither did he open control center nor notification center... Probably 'cause it's fake and they focused on smooth animations, control center and notification center would give them away I guess

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I have no idea what to think. Some design changes are inconsistent with previous iterations of iOS, but at the same time the animations and everything are so perfect, that there's no way it's fake iOS.

I'm thinking they might modify some of the icons for the iPhone 6 and the music icon for the iOS 8 GM. The new music icon would be more consistent with the new iTunes 12 logo, and the passbook icon with the added credit card part could be iPhone 6 specific with the NFC transactions somehow being linked with passbook.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I think it's real but I'm not excited. I was really hoping for the smaller bezel from the Marcus Brownlee video. That phone is way too big for a 4.7" screen. I'm holding my iphone5 right now and I just can't imagine holding something that big and only getting a 4.7" screen.