Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Enroe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I´m thinking about ordering the new LCD Dell™ UltraSharp™ 2407WFP-HC for motion and graphic design? I´ll use it for now on my laptop while I wait for the Mac Pro update and then plug it into the real momma.

Thanks for your opinion!:)

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I would say yes to that question. But i would calibrate it once you get it, so you are looking at better representation of the colors you would be working with.

Thats what i did to my Cinema Display. I noticed a big difference.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
(Waits for all the apple fanboi's to descend on this thread to preach that the apple cinema displays are the "Best Displays Evar" and how Dell makes "Da crappiest displays in da world".)

I'd say it would be a very good screen for your work, just make sure you calibrate it as the above poster said!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I use a Dell monitor at home at the moment for print design, but my next monitor within the next couple of months will probably be the BenQ FP241W. The reviews have been outstanding and I'm fed up with waiting for Apple to release new ACDs.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
(Waits for all the apple fanboi's to descend on this thread to preach that the apple cinema displays are the "Best Displays Evar" and how Dell makes "Da crappiest displays in da world".)

I'd say it would be a very good screen for your work, just make sure you calibrate it as the above poster said!

You do realize that Dell monitors do actually use the same screens right?
There is no difference in either of those except A: price, and B: ports on the displays themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I am using a 24" Dell right now at work; for design.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland

Well don't get me wrong, i'm all for dell or apple screens. I just hate people who say apple is god and dell is crap.

Direct your anger at people who blindly think apple is the best, not me!

Although, then again, the dell 24" and the apple 23" don't use the same panel.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Of course Apple! Always pick Apple! Apple makes hands-down the best displays ever! Dell, on the other hand, makes the crappiest displays in the world -- Steve Jobs himself even said "they buy the panels that we reject!" Get the Apple -- at ANY price! Apple is like God and Dell is... well, Dell is crap!

... just kidding, of course. ;) I haven't checked, but in all likelihood it IS the same panel underneath the plastic or metal enclosure. (Edit: oops, right, 23" and 24" obviously not the same exact panel. But probably the same factory...)

I use a 20" Dell at home (well, I did until I got the 20" iMac) and if I was looking at a 24" panel the Dell 2407 is definitely on my list of screens to check out.

What it boils down to, assuming you calibrate both panels correctly, is aesthetic appearance. Personally I'm not willing to pay almost twice the price just for a fashion statement. Keep in mind the Dell includes a selection of video inputs too, including s-video and composite, with Picture-in-picture functions and whatnot. If that's useful to you...

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
(Edit: oops, right, 23" and 24" obviously not the same exact panel. But probably the same factory...)

That didn't click with me for a while either :D, i slapped* myself when i realised it!

*I didn't actually physically slap myself as that would be strange...

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
There is no difference in either of those except A: price, and B: ports on the displays themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I am using a 24" Dell right now at work; for design.

Wrong....the Dell display uses a S-PVA panel while the Apple Cinema Displays are S-IPS panels.

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
I use a dell 24 at home and apple 20 and 23s at work. IMO, my dell at home is much more even brightness wise. ACDs seem to have a lot of falloff at the edges.

iBeard

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
I have a 2407WFP-HC, and use it on my editing/design rig. Its really a great monitor.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Ok so maybe they were the same displays back with the 20". According to this article which compares them both, the LCDs were manufactured by then same LG/Phillips plant.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

Next, here is some info reguarding the two kinds of LCDs used by both Apple and Dell:

LCD Panel Technology Explained

And according to this site Apple and Dell both use the S-IPS LCD, but only Dell uses both the S-IPS, and the S-PVA. So if you were to order one, theres no garentee to which one you will end up getting.

iHermes

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
can you hook up another monitor to the new imac and set it up as a dual monitor? sorry for the threadjack ..

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
so will i be able to find a 24" display with the same specs to complement my new 24" imac ...

More than likely. You will need to purchase a mini-DVI to DVI cable from apple though. This is around 20 dollars.

The Dell 24" is a good compliment, especially the HC version. Some people insist the 23" Apple Display is better quality than the Dell, however it is slightly smaller so the screens won't match up as well as the Dell.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
I use a Dell monitor at home at the moment for print design, but my next monitor within the next couple of months will probably be the BenQ FP241W. The reviews have been outstanding and I'm fed up with waiting for Apple to release new ACDs.

Woho! I've been running a FP241W for the last 8 months. Fantasic display with lots of features. Even better now nVidia dispaly cards now support landscape/portrait rotation. As I do B/W tech illistrations color (or colour) managment is not so much of an issue.

Been thinking about getting a second one. Price has come down a bit and the Mac Pro will support two.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I hope it's a good buy--I'm actually sitting on my front porch, waiting for my new 2407WFP-HC to arrive. I hooked my MBP up to the display model at the local Dell kiosk (right next to Sunglasses Hut--what's up with that?), and it looked fantastic.

I'll be using it for graphic design/photography, so I'll be spending time on calibration settings.

EDIT: I bought during a $100 discount promotion that ended yesterday in Canada. That plus an employees discount through my wife's office sweetened the deal considerably vs the ACD I've been drooling over for the past few years.

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
If one was to buy the Dell, how often would you have to calibrate it? Would your calibration disappear if you connect it to other video sources like DVD player, etc? How much does it cost to do this?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Mear semantics.

Semantics have led to wars...

If one was to buy the Dell, how often would you have to calibrate it? Would your calibration disappear if you connect it to other video sources like DVD player, etc? How much does it cost to do this?

The calibration is stored on the Mac itself, not the monitor. It just sets how the graphics card outputs colours so that they display best on the monitor. It won't be lost if you connect it to other things.

I don't know how often you'd have to calibrate though. The experts would know :)

mateus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
I've got an old Dell Inspiron with an Ultra Sharp UXGA+ monitor & it's simply stunning! I've not come across many other LCD monitors that are capable of displaying images quite so beautifully as this does. I used to do a lot of Photoshop & Illustrator work & I preferred working on my laptop rather than the work PCs due to the high quality monitor.

Motion is very good but not brilliant, however it is about 3 years old & things have moved on a lot since then.

I realise the monitor you're referring to is different model, but hopefully this helps a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.