Is the left more afraid that Trump will......

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

1) Be a complete failure as President. That he will get the USA into wars and our FP will be a mess. That all rights for minorities and LGBT will be lost, that the rivers and oceans will be polluted again and the country will be a complete mess.

Or,

2) He will be a great President. Good jobs will be created and the economy will grow at 3%+, people will be happy and positive about their country.

Or a combination of both?

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I can't comment for the left in America but I doubt they are afraid he'll be a good president. Everybody wants him to do good but with his history of acting like an idiot who has lost control of his mouth, it's unlikely he'll do a good job at this point. Maybe he'll surprise us all, I hope so!

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'd love to be proven wrong and that he does good things for the economy. I simply don't think that is possible based on his history of only looking after himself and even admitting his greed. I just don't think greedy people really truly care about anything other then themselves and their own selfish needs. We shall see.

I will say that he can and will never be a "great president". The divisive tone he set right out of the gate along with his sexist comments and grabbing some p, along with his shady business dealings will always be a dark cloud hanging over him. Always.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My fear is failure. I'm concerned that his thin-skinned, brittle attitude won't play well on the world stage and that he'll set back U.S. relations with both our fiends and our enemies.

I'm concerned that he'll delay progress on the issue of global warming/green energy, choosing to embrace fossil fuel production/use, setting America 4/8 years back in adopting and promoting greener, more sustainable technologies, and further delaying any solutions to global warming.

I'm concerned that he, along with congress will dismantle/privatize our social safety nets, making life harder for millions of Americans.

I'm concerned that his plan to put more money in our military, cut taxes, and invest in fixing our infrastructure will further increase our budget deficit, forcing even harder choices to be made down the road.

If he is a great president, and doesn't fulfill my darkest fears, then I will be pleasantly surprised and grateful that I was wrong. I'm not afraid of him succeeding. I'm afraid of him acting in ways that I'm politically opposed to.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How do we determine what a "great president" is? And at what point will we anoint a person a great president.

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Regardless of what he achieves or destroys, he’s the definitive loud, sloppy, arrogant, ignorant American who thinks the rest of the world is his bitch. It’s an embarrassment that the rest of the world should only have to experience through tourism. That's my personal Trump problem of the moment.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I don't know why they would be afraid of getting into wars when their candidate and the current POTUS are war hawks.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2016 ---
    Honest question did you have any of those concerns during the past 8 years?

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m more worried about Trump's economic war. He’ll save some low paying jobs for the photo op, but wages will still stagnate while prices go up.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

I wonder if it will actually be 1, yet be lauded as 2, and I'll end up at 101.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

But you've been content with that over past 8 years when Obama created all those part time jobs?

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

like Obama is while on his way out no less?

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Those are pervasive political concerns regardless of who is in office.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Most government employees would have to go to bed hoping that no one finds out how incompetent they are. They could not make it in the private sector and do not know anything except to keep one head in our tax trough!

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

No I have not. Just about every episode of Real Time I wanted to punch Bill Maher through my TV for always bragging about unemployment numbers while completely ignoring income. I also hope that Republicans don’t continue the tradition of touting marginal gains as epic wins.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please. I've work for the state of California for the last 15+ years after having been in the private sector the previous 15.

My co-workers are as talented educated, experienced and hard-working as those that were in the private sector ... if not more. I certainly encountered more screw-up and laggards in the private sector than I have working for the state.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry if I do not believe you. I know several government employees and they are retarded compared to a decent person in the private sector. I have trouble giving credibility to anything in CA. The state is an anchor on the US economy.

17. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

This coming from Florida? I'm sincerely baffled by this on multiple levels.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm not afraid of Trump in any sense. If dies well great, if he does poorly we'll survive and his policies can be rolled back. He's the president not a king

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Interesting. I'd say you have a problem with your own argument's credibility if you think that California is somehow an anchor. California has an economy larger than not only other states, but larger than most other countries on the planet! Only five nations outweigh it!

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/07/...an-all-but-five-nations-world-bank-data-says/

And is among the least dependent states:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

46 out of 50. Not bad. If you want to look for an anchor, look to Mississippi which was number one (worst) on that list.

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

He only has about 20 days left in office and then Trump will take over. So you don't have that long to be concerned.

21. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

That's the thing... words are words. Actions speak louder than words.

Obama had great words to win the election and delivered junk policy which created a giant rift between the right and the left.

Trump has used garbage words to win the election but hasn't even gotten one policy into law yet.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I really could not care less. Feel free to live with any misconception you wish.

That tells me all I need to know. Your agenda is obscuring your cognizance.

Good luck with that.

23. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I will say that I have known some state workers that are completely incompetent. And some that were very talented and could have made it in the private sector, but liked the relative safety of a state job. Most of the former were hired by the state directly out of college and as a result had no real world experience, only theoretical. They were very ineffective at their jobs.

You get both kinds.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You get both kinds whether you're talking the public or the private sector.

25. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

That's for sure. My dad owns a business where he bills both public and private health insurance and often has to call them when claims issues arise (they always do). A call to Medicare is usually always much more pleasant, informative, and productive than a call to Blue Cross Blue Shield.