Is the LG UltraFine 4K Display compatible with the Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Szarky, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Szarky macrumors 6502a

Was disappointed to go to my local Apple store and them not have any on display or really know much about the it. Struggling to find any definitive answers online anywhere regarding if LG's new display will be fully or partially compatible with my Early 2015 MacBook Pro. Anyone actually own one of the new monitors and test it?

2. csvt macrumors newbie

Obviously you'll need an adaptor. The 4K Ultrafine only has USB-C ports on the rear.

Generally my understanding is that us 2015 MBP users will not be able to get the display to run as 60 FPS.... I think people have reported getting 45 FPS once they're connected w/ the adaptor. Its still good, just not 60...

I may be getting the technical jargon wrong here, but you will absolutely be able to use the thing, thats for sure.

3. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

The people getting sub 60 fps are attaching non-USB-C monitors to a recent machine with USB-C. The OP would need the opposite conversion.

Quite likely there will never be an adapter that converts a DisplayPort output into USB-C. Such an adapter would need to plug into both DisplayPort and USB-A. It would need a USB-C alternate mode mux (as found in the rMB12). And finally, it would need some internal intelligence to do the link negotiations to enter the alternate mode.

4. Szarky thread starter macrumors 6502a

DisplayPort? Early 2015 MacBook Pro has one HDMI and a couple Thunderbolt ports. Don't see a DisplayPort port. Unless I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

As is the case in every other conversation I've ran into on the net, no one can definitively describe the experience between the new monitor and the 2015 MacBook Pro. Frustrating. May have to bite the bullet and buy and test myself. Just wanted to avoid the situation where it gets returned on day 1.

5. curmudgeonette, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

Your Thunderbolt ports double as DisplayPort ports.

Your mention of Thunderbolt does lead to an alternate adapter design: There could be a Thunderbolt hub that extracts a DisplayPort signal from TB. The hub would also need a USB controller. The DisplayPort signal and the USB2/3 would then need to be combined as above into USB-C - once again with some local intelligence 'cause the Mac won't be doing that function.

An additional issue to worry about is brightness control. It is my understanding that the UltraFines control this through the Mac, and thus don't have buttons on the display. Even if you find a way to adapt an older Mac's ports into USB-C, there's no guarantee that the Mac will hook into this feature.

BTW, I suspect the brightness control is via USB, hence the absolute need to include USB input into the adapter.

6. Szarky thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Thunderbolt is the exact same connector as miniDisplayPort (except with more features). Using monitors with a miniDP - DP cable, you tend to get the best speeds and stuff. But these new LG monitors literally only have a USB C connection.