Is the Macbook going to be aluminum instead of plastic?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chadabshier, Mar 12, 2008.

1. chadabshier macrumors newbie

I am interested in getting a Macbook. I do not need the power of a MBP, but the one thing I really like is the aluminum casing of the MBP. I think it looks so much nicer.

Is there any evidence (rumors) that says the macbook will be redesigned and be aluminum? It seems like everything Apple sells is aluminum besides the MB because it is easier to recycle.

2. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Take this with a grain of salt, but many people are speculating that there will be updates in june which may include new aluminum macbooks. Hopefully we will get them because I would definately buy one as my new first mac.

3. astudentis macrumors regular

why would apple do that.. they have been using plastic on lower end notebook for how long now? and some people prefer that... (though i would love to have an aluminum or carbon fiber macbook!)

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

aluminum is expensive, macbooks are not, you do the math

5. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Didn't SJ say that all the lines were going aluminum by end of '08, or something like that? I thought it had to do with being better for the environment.

I'm waiting to hand me down my current MB to my wife when the AluMB comes out, I've read others on the forums talking June as well. That the latest upgrade (speedbump) was due to intel not Apple.

Coachingguy

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Wireless reception will be worse than on the current MBs then? Nice

7. pbkiller macrumors regular

The iMacs went from white plastic to aluminum... why not the macbooks? I would jump on one of those ASAP.... Lets see what happens, and lets hope!:)

8. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

The MacBooks are the last of Apple's products that aren't aluminum.

I mean - they even changed the iPods over.

I'd say it's a safe assumption that we'll see the end of the plastic by the end of the year.

9. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Yes. It's not about cost. It's about environment. I would expect an aluminum MB soon.

10. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

One of the rumours about the MBP was pretty accurate and the poster also mentioned aluminium macbooks in ipod colours. I think the macbook will definitly be aluminium by the years end and hopefully pink :)

11. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

I agree and am with this.

12. iJordo macrumors member

i personally

like the design of the macbook... the rubber feet on the bottom of the Macbook are way more practical then the ones on my MBP...and also aluminum is HARD to keep clean and can dent easily... but its up to you!
    :apple::apple::apple:

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Do you think its easy to keep a (white) MB clean? You cant imagine how hard it is to clean the edges of the panel on which KB and trackpad are located.

14. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The new imacs dont have that much aluminum, its still mostly plastic, plus they made up the extra cost of aluminum by jacking people with a TN lcd panel instead of the more expensive S-IPS like the white imacs. Even if the entire thing was made of aluminum they would have saved money by switching to TN.

If the macbooks go aluminum then they are going to sacrifice something inside the case like they did with the imac. And yes, its always about cost, they arent going to switch to aluminum for the environment since nobody is bitching about the plastic cases being more harmful than other laptops. They will make up the extra cost of aluminum somewhere (assuming they go with it), that is guaranteed.

15. Aranince macrumors 65816

MacBooks have to go away from plastic/poly whatever because of their promise to go green. So its only obvious to make it Alu. Aluminum can't be THAT expensive.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Just to clarify: PVC is not used in the macbook's casing, it is an internal component. The macbooks can be PVC-free and still retain their current exterior.