Is the Mainstream Media really that AD-Ooh Shiny?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think Trump is playing them like a fiddle.

He comes out and talks about the illegals that voted and the MSM pounced like they were getting something nice and juicy to talk about.

So then he goes to his office and signs a bunch of EC's and the media is still talking about the voting issue.

Are they really that gullible?

If so, it is going to be fun 4/8 years.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

It's not Presidential of Trump.
    The media needs to be more diligent.
    And KellyAnn Conway should never be given airtime.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I disagree. Trump should talk about building the wall, talk about destroying NAFTA, talking about withdrawing from NATO, talk about using the awesome power of the state to crush "sanctuary cities," talk about forcing American corporations to hire Americans, talk about fixing our infrastructure, i.e. talk about things that matter--the things the he was elected to do.

4. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Media and people need to be very careful reading Trump. This is the guy who wrote the art of the deal. He doesn't play checkers, he plays chess and everything, including what people may see as an idiotic tweet has a purpose to get done what he wants done.

I've worked with a few successful business people, one even a well know politician in the tri-state area and this is exactly how they operate. On the surface, they seem like crying, whining, petulant children but they always get the job done successfully in the end.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The left would be much better prepared if they read "The Art of the Deal," but I'm much happier that they prefer to react the way they do and continue to underestimate the president.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

He didn't write the art of the deal. And while he may be street smart in some areas - he's not an intellectual at all.

7. Plutonius, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Yep, the media can only handle one or two stories at a time and Trump's tweets are keeping the media occupied. I have no idea if it's misdirection on purpose or just Trump being Trump :).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2017 ---
    I disagree with this. Throwing some red meat out to the media on stupid things is allowing much of Trump's policy to proceed without much comment. Trump is as far from presidential that I can think of but, I would much rather have actions then talk.

8. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Well, I guess if you want to make it the literal sense you have a point but I believe you understand mine.

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

He absolutely is.

He knows how to get attention, he is comfortable in front of camera, and uses outrages statements to drive his agenda.

The ability to talk on camera is a very powerful tool. Example: The Gipper.
    Fox News also reacting the same way, just sayin'.

10. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Pretty misogynistic, bro.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

No. It has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with I don't like her or what she has to say. Add in Spicer, Trump, Michael Cohen.

What a sad attempt to name call.

12. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Whoosh

13. samcraig macrumors P6

sorry - you weren't trying to name call... you were making a joke? How would I be able to tell?

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

And they're going to continue to troll him on the nightly news and make fun of him and his tweets. The tweets were great during the election running against a deeply unpopular candidate but now he's the HMFIC and they can turn all their attention and trolling toward him, and it's caused him to whine and take the bait, that's what happens when a person whose supposed to be strategic turn to tactics.

15. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Just lighten up a bit, @samcraig. You're one of the few I can stomach reading on here and lately you've gone off the rails. Politics isn't life regardless of what you personally believe. Have some fun and smile. Everything will be OK no matter who is in the White House.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Thanks... I think? ;)

I admit to being a bit defensive on that one. I "joked" during the final stretch of the election that I didn't know what I would dislike more if Trump won. Trump in the White House or the fact KA would be on TV daily.

17. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

You are missing the big picture. As long as the media concentrates on Trump's tweets, the media isn't discussing the policies Trump is implementing and the policies have a better chance of going through.

Trump is distracting the media with his red meat tweets and it appears to be working. One humorous thing is the Republicans who also can't see past Trump being unpresidential :).

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Trump hasn't even started working he's signed some EO's he'll need to defend in court or get funding for or both that's where the work actually is the rest is dog and pony.

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I agree with you that getting legislation passed is the tough part. Currently though, the red meat tweets are allowing his proposed staff to fly through the nominations without constant media attention and to sign the EOs also without constant media attention.

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

He wasn't going to loose his appointments anyway and we can't stop him from signing EO's. What is happening is that by the time he has to defend his EO's in court and to senate the character assignations and leader confidence factor will have killed any of his political capital and standing in front of the court.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, he didn't. Like almost every other celebrity "written" book, he used a ghost writer.

The guy can't go three sentences without tripping all over the english language, what in the world makes you think he's possible of even thinking in a manner that would translate to the page?

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

We all know that it was a ghost writer who put the words on the page, he is still the author

23. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm curious, if he didn't have the tweets, what would the media be talking about ? The media would be trashing his policy rather than his character (or maybe both).

His tweets are working to deflect and I hope he continues them :).

24. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is the thing about Trump, yes he has some views that would be considered conservative, or at least views that the right likes. But when it comes down to brass tacks, if the Dems in Congress come up with an idea he likes, he won't hesitate to push for it and sign it, party be damned.
    I do see what you are saying. And yes I don't want to hear her talk either.

But as to being Presidential, whatever that should mean, he is not compared to his previous predecessors. (Although Bill dildoing an intern with a cigar is hardly Presidential either.) But if you don't have a job because it went to Mexico or somewhere else and Trump is trying to make sure you can get a new job, do you really care if he is Presidential or not? It is real easy to stand back when you have a check coming in regularly to be critical of someone whose policies and mannerisms you may not agree with or like, but if you are trying to support your family your whole outlook on things can change quickly.

The media will only be as diligent as their customer base demands.

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

He doesn't have a policy yet..