Is the MBA 13" 2013 powerful enough to handle full HD external monitor.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Paragos, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Paragos macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm just curious that whether the current MBA (base config.) with the Haswell graphics inside is powerful enough to handle multitasking of Skype video call, web programming and full HD video on a full HD external screen. Right now, I'm using a pc laptop which comes with Intel HD graphics 3000 and when I'm on video call and at the same time watching HD video on Youtube as well as opening some kinds of text editing programs. It gets quite lagged, so I'm not quite sure the improvement on Intel HD graphics 5000 can handle those multitasking (without 3D rendering and gaming, but perhaps a little bit of Photoshop) on an full HD monitor. Otherwise, if it cannot handle those tasks I mentioned, is there any much different in the multitasking, if I go for rMBA 13"?

Thank you in advance.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They shouldn't be that different. I know both support external monitors bigger than 1080. I don't know what framerates are like. If photoshop does anything weird, just switch gpu use to basic under preferences.

3. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

The HD5000 is well over 100% faster than the HD3000 with more than 4x the memory available and much faster memory as well, so most likely not, although I haven't run my device on a full 1080p monitor yet I will do so today and get back to you.

I haven't noticed any lag on my macbook air however.

The current 13" Macbook Air has a faster GPU than the rMBP, so keep that in mind.

4. Suraj R. macrumors regular

Running the 13" MBA (i5/8/128) connected to a 1080p 23" LED monitor as we speak, no lag whatsoever. Go ahead and get it, you'll be impressed.

5. Paragos thread starter macrumors newbie