Is the new 13" MBP noticeably more portable than the previous gen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I have a late 2013 rMBP. I love having portability.

Is the 2016 13" noticeably more portable than mine?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Yes. The 2016 13" MBP is exactly the same width as the 11" MacBook Air, and just 1/2" deeper. Its thickest point is thinner than the Air's thickest point, but of course it's not wedge shaped, so the thickness is constant. I had an 11" Air for the past four years and now I'm very happy with my 13" MBP. In addition to the portability, you get the amazing retina screen.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Like having an Air but with a better processor and screen

4. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

I also did have a air before and now I'm having the mbp 2016 13" I love it.
    It's really portable.

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Upgraded from an 2011 13" MBP and yes, noticeably...my only complaint is that I still occasionally touch the trackpad and move the cursor when I am typing.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I went from a 2014 13" rMBP to the new TouchBar 13" and yes the difference is quite easily noticeable. If portability is a big thing for you, you will happy with this update.

7. David58117 macrumors 65816

Yeah, and the crazy thing is - the 12" is even more portable.

8. MrX8503, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017

MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Attached Files:

9. Easttime macrumors 6502

I went from the 13" white 2010 MacBook to the 13" 2016 MBProTB. The portability factor is just amazing. Much, much lighter and thinner. Remove from briefcase, open lid and start working (Apple Watch or Touch ID to unlock). You asked about a different comparator device, but your question gave me the soapbox.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd quantify it as more portable, but I'm not sure its a lot more. I'd say some people will think so, and others may not YMMV

11. nordique macrumors 6502a

Noticeably?

Hm, I dunno. I was spoiled with the retina Macbook which is noticeably more portable and any other macbook save maybe the 11" Air.

I don't know with the Pro's if its something you'd notice right away. I certainly didn't.

I knew it was thinner and lighter from APple's press conference and their advertising, but i couldn't tell until I had both the 2015 and 2016 models right in front of me side by side.

At that point onwards you can notice it's a bit smaller and lighter, but to me "noticeably" more portable is the retina macbook (12")

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The 2016+ models are so much smaller that I'm comparing my mid-2012 13" with the new 15" MBPs. More screen and barely-wider case while getting thinner? Sorcery, I tell ya.

But the mega-portability of the 12" MB is making me rethink what I really need in a computer after all...

13. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

I was in the Apple store and I honestly couldn't notice a huge difference. The foot print is smaller and it seems smaller overall for sure but the weight still seemed like a lot.

Maybe the MacBook is more of what I'm wanting for portability. I just wish it had the power of my rMBP...

14. evec, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

evec macrumors regular

It is a fine for more portable that MBP13, however it not sufficiency become next ultra-slim class.
    If you have old design 13" Retina the new will not give you a lot of portable can be let you thing you need to upgrade your system to latest one.

The MB12 have best portable for very small power supply, wedge design, non fans and weight only 920g.

15. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

I really want the latest 13" MacBook Pro, I really like it but I just can't wrap my head around a few things. I know this has been discussed on this forum not only by others but me as well but I just need to vent again. I need ports. I use HDMI, USB, SD card slot, and MagSafe a lot. I also want a nice keyboard. I did like the new MacBook Pro keyboard, but I do feel like mine is more comfortable to use when typing a lot. I'm really glad they made a base model with no touch bar bc I really don't want one. I much prefer the physical keys. I guess one day I'll get over it, but until then it's just frustrating.

Thanks for reading lol.

End rant.

16. rutrack macrumors member

So why is it that you want the new one ? Better looks ?

17. Lucifer666, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

If you want portability go with the 12". The 12 is amazing. I also have the others, and they are great but not nearly as portable. The 12 is like a 12" iPad with a keyboard; feather. Also, it being so light it's much more durable; I actually drop mine from my bed all the time. :D
    Of course the 12 is not a powerhouse. When they update it this year it will be even more desirable.

18. Hieveryone, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Mainly b/c it has a smaller footprint and seems noticeably thinner.

I know people hate on thinness and weight a lot, but I LOVE portability if combined with sufficient usability.

Like I don't want an 11 inch air if theres no retina.

I don't think the new MBP is THAT much more portable than mine, but heck I do appreciate it whatever more thinness they did, the smaller foot print, and the supposed weight decrease.

Looks wise it's nice, but not THAT much different for me to be able to really tell. I guess the screen looks nicer with a smaller bezel.

Like I said I'm a fan of the new MBP. But there's just a few things that are a turn off. I suppose I will get over it eventually, but right now I'm just a bit frustrated and I'm waiting to see what Apple does maybe next year.

Maybe a butterfly 3 keyboard mechanism is coming which will be better or something.