Is the new 2012 cMBP noisier and hotter then the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entraik, Aug 21, 2012.

1. entraik macrumors 6502a

I currently have the rMBP but want to return it for a maxed out cMBP (for audio production in Ableton Live and some gaming). Is anyone else using the cMBP (2012) for any audio production or anything CPU intensive? How does it do in terms of fan noise and heat? Also how long does your battery usually last unplugged? Thanks.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes.

Due to mechanical HDD. I also believe it has symmetrical fan blades which will make it seem louder.

The rMBP is an all flash architecture with a-symmetical fan blades which make it seem quitter due to it spreading the volume of the fans over several frequencies opposed to one.

3. DTF macrumors member

I have the new cMBP 2.6 and compared to my old mid-2010 model this thing runs cool. I'm using it for photography with the Adobe products as well as development with windows virtual machines so I'm taxing it out at times. Battery life hasn't been as good as the last one but I'm hearing that battery life with Mountain Lion has issues to be corrected in the next patch. I never ran it with Lion to see but I don't see why it wouldn't have been as good as my last model which would get about 8 hours if I didn't run it too hard.

4. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

do you have the high res 1680x1050 glossy display? If so, does that affect battery life?

5. DTF macrumors member

I had it on my old one which got better battery life than my new one which is just the regular glossy display. I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference if any. Having the dedicated graphics card running would make more of an impact on battery life than the display.

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I'm not sure about the battery life, but for the short duration I had the Mid 2012 Ultimate cMBP [ 2.7 ; 8GB RAM ; 1TB HDD ; Hi-Res + Anti Glare Display ] the heat was much better than the 2011s, but not even close to the thermals of the rMBP.

The rMBP runs far cooler performing the same exact tasks as the cMBP.

7. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

It should run a bit hotter and a bit louder than RMBP. The antiglare will have minimal to none impact on battery life.

8. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about the built in speakers? Are they any different 'sounding on the cMBP vs the rMBP?

----------

one of my main annoyances is the lag I'm getting on my rMBP at the moment... it's completely maxed out in specs. Yet, in 1920x1200 resolution.. simple web pages are lagging. Do you guys think this will be resolved via a patch?

9. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I use the ' Best for Retina ' setting and see very little occasional lag when running the HD4000, no lag on the 650 GPU. Do you see the lag when using the dedicated GPU too ?

As for the speakers, the cMBP speakers are like any other MBP speakers i.e. okay. The rMBP speakers are louder in comparison, and the SQ is slightly better over the cMBP but not a whole lot. However, the difference in volume is very apparent between the two! I totally prefer the rMBP's speakers!!

10. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm using the 'More Space' option atm. No lag whatsoever on 'Best for Retina'.... slight amounts on Facebook but that's it. However I need this application I use (Ableton Live) in 1920x1200 lol.

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

"All flash architcture" is just a cool sounding Apple marketing term for "built in SSD".

My RMBP gets prettt damn loud at full fan speed, but I think the original MBPs are just as loud, but a different pitch. I certainly wouldn't replace it for the original. The whole package of thin, light, fast and high density display is just unbeatable.

12. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I have a new 2012 cMBP with high res display and yes it does get hotter than the rMBP. But for me the sound from the fans really aren't that much louder. I don't even notice the difference.