Is the new Bin Laden message related to the rise of the Tea Party?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Oct 1, 2010.

?

Is the rise of the Tea Party emboldening our terrorist enemies?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Has the tea party emboldened our terrorist enemies?

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

There's a new Bin Laden tape? Source? I didn't see anything on Yahoo news.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What Bin Laden message? Where's the alleged connection? Who's making this argument? Please make more of an effort in explaining yourself.

I don't really care what politics people have when it comes to starting new threads, but speaking solely for myself, at the very least, I like to see a quote or two and a link before gauging what the thread is about. Even better is to see a short paragraph from the OP explaining what their views are... I don't see or understand, in the slightest, how you've drawn what seems a tenuous conclusion or the framing for this discussion.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Radical Islam probably supports the Tea Party. It's pretty much all about taking away all of the cultural freedoms for which the West is hated ( by them).

5. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Ah yes... the #1 thing the Tea Party is known for... advocating the destruction of freedom and personal liberty! :rolleyes: Haha!

6. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/01/bin.laden.message/index.html?hpt=T2

Any message! Does it matter? The guy is still alive, and now that the tea party is running around yelling about our president, is he emboldened? I ask because it was common for any criticism of GWB to be considered emboldening the enemy.

Does that same argument apply when it is the Tea Party (GOP) doing the criticizing, and a democrat as President?

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm talking about abortion, gay marriage, welfare.
    Things radical Islam hates about the west.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So you are saying al Qaeda attacked the US because they hate our freedoms?

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes?
    I thought that that was universally known as the reason they hate the west.

10. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You've been completely brainwashed. The occupation of Palestine, the indiscriminate murder of 100,000 Iraqi citizens, the propping up of repressive regimes; these all mean far more in the scheme of things.

12. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

[​IMG]

indeed.

13. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure they have many other reasons that rank quite a bit higher on their list, many of which would exist with or without radical Islam.

14. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Na, they organise a massive network of terrorist cells just because they're jealous of our freedoms. ;)

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It is a situation that surely cannot distilled down to "they hate us for our freedoms", but what I think probably needs more examination is the first part, the "they hate us". How genuinely accurate is that? It certainly does make it easier to view them as the enemy if we believe they hate us. What seems much more likely is that they simply do not give a leap about us.

In fact, this premise is pointless, given that al Qaeda won the war on terror almost a decade ago. We publicize bin Laden's messages and tirelessly cover every event that might remotely be connected to their organization. How ubelievably easy it is to get us running around in circles. In fact, I think I need to go put out my hair...