Is the new iMac really slower?? Can I even still order it - it seems to be off Apple.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Evev12, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

So I know this has probably been discussed already, and I don't mean to beat a dead horse, so sorry if it had. My gf has been wanting to buy a new imac as a primary computer for the apartment for a while now but I told her to wait until today, however after the release I think the current/prior gen may be a wiser option. I think the thing that's bothering me most is the lack of upgradability. It's a direction Apple seems intent on going (sacrificing a bit of function for form and thinness) but I think most people can agree that it's probably not the best choice for a desktop where thinness/aesthetic plays little role of importance. Then I actually read some posts about the new iMac actually being slower. I'm not sure where or how (or if it's just one post among many from someone trying to justify a recent purchase), but I just can't imagine that's the case...can anyone clarify? If, for example I max out a current 27 inch, would it actually be faster than the new 27 inch BASE model? Which moves me onto my real question....can we even still purchase one? It seems that the Apple store no longer has them as available. Any buying advice is welcome as well. We're both artists and use photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator/Lightroom heavily. Aside from a recent rMBP I bought this will be our only other computer. Price aside, which would you guys go for for moderate to heavy photo and design work if it was your primary desktop?...If they released some new Mac pros this may have been a different thread.

2. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

forgive me, I didn't read your text because it was a wall of text and i don't like that. I read the title of the topic though and i can say it is faster in every spec so yeh it is faster :)

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

You can purchase 2011 imacs from the refurb section or from any apple store or reseller.

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

The only part that is less upgradable is the 21.5" needing the screen removed for ram upgrade.

I don't see how the new ones could be slower. They use the newer ivy bridge cpu's and Kepler graphics.

5. nec207 macrumors 6502

Some one here was saying the new iMac is only 10% to 20% faster than the old one.

You have to go in person to the apple store.To they get the new iMac.

6. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol. I cant tell if you're being a d!ck or not, but I like your style....ironically I do the same thing. I think I may be bipolar.

7. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

+1

I read a few sentences, then couldn't get any farther.

The new iMac is faster.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

9. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

nah not being a d*ck lol but really that block is just strain to my eyes. Maybe I will let my computer read it to me :D

10. leman macrumors 604

The maxed-out 2011 model will indeed be faster than the base $1799 2012 iMac model. This is quite normal.

The $1999 2012 iMac will be faster than the maxed-out 2011 model though.

11. MACza macrumors member

Well, from reports so far, the new 21.5" model's HDD is a 5400rpm model, where the 2011 iMac has a 7200rpm HDD. Thus the new one is slower than the old one if you only look at the spin speed, which leads to slower data reads and writes - slower w.r.t. disk access.

This is VERY disappointing. Will be keeping my 2011 iMac for at least another year....